Using an Infrared Light to Keep a Dog Warm

How do you safely use an infrared light to keep dog warm in cold weather.

Mary from North Florida

I think the light would be dangerous for your fur baby. What is it was not secure enough and accidentally burnt him? I know you would feel terrible. Why don't you buy him/her a heated pet bed instead, it would be much safer and your baby can curl right up. Good luck.

Sherri

I can vouch for the dangers of using light to warm dog areas. My uncle raises Doxie's and had a terrible fire that killed several of his pinned up dogs when they were being heated with some kind of heat lights. He's still after 5 years unable to talk about it without breaking down so I don't know what he used or any other details but the risk doesn't seem worth it. We use a heated pad made especailly for dogs in an insulated dog house and a heated bowl for water. When it's really cold we bring them into the garage.

I have not had good luck with lights. I put a thermometer in there long before putting the dog in there, and it never got very warm. My dog needs to be active, not huddled up in a doghouse. I tried the mats and they don't tell you that they heat up to only 40'F, which is just plain cold. Then I bought another mat, which almost started the house on fire when its thermostat failed and it overheated. Parking my dog outside isn't why I bought a dog.

I use an electric blanket to keep my dogs warm. If you watch at Wal Mart or do some research online they make smaller size electric blankets for using on the couch or in a chair. But they are a perfect size for dog beds. And they have the 3 settings like a regular electric blanket does. I keep a dog bed on the floor and in the winter I pui this blanket under the bed. That way it doesn't get too hot for them. I keep it turned to low, and give them a nice thick blanket to snuggle up under and they stay warm and snuggly all nite.

Dog Coat for Cold Weather
Keeping Pets Warm in Winter
Pets AdviceJuly 28, 2008
Infrared Heater
Infrared Heating Tips and Reviews
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🎄