Decorating Your Bedroom to Inspire Relaxation

I have heard that the bedroom is the last room in the house people decorate. I am moving into a residence with a 'blank' design canvas and have always lived with white walls. I would like to take on a project of decorating my room so that it is warm, inviting, organized, and inspires relaxation.

My other question is how to blend my design so that it merges with a bathroom, and office? What pointers or guidelines should I follow for my 1st 'major' project?

Darci from Littleton, CO

I wish I had time to decorate my room, but if I could I want the same thing as you do , ah, to relax!Soft colors, blue or green are calming, and you could use some fabrics in calming patterns for curtains and maybe to make some covered boxes that match for storage and use a lot of textures you love to make it more your own,I don't have much for shopping where I live but we have a Ross and I find some pretty neat things there so good luck with your room!

If you really want a relaxing room, (this may sound boring) you really need to stick with neutrals like taupe, beige's & other NATURAL colors. If you live where it's always hot, (like Phoenix, southern California, Texas, or Florida) then think "COOL" colors; like a beige with a cool tone added, more of a "grayish" or "bluish" beige), because these colors will "cool the room down". By the same token, If you live in an area where you are deprived of sun (Like Seattle, Alaska, or parts of Canada) Then you'll want a Golden-Beige or neutrals colors with a hint of gold or "warmer" colors. These colors will give the room a BIT more of a brighter "sunny" & less depressing look. Think "Golden-Beige" or "Golden-Tan" vs. "the cooler "grayish beiges".

--> I'd use simple neutral colors like: White, Beige, dark or light Tan, Slate, Heather, Moss, Hunter or Sage, & maybe even a bit of Charcoal, & also a TINY bit of ONE brighter color you really like from nature, like Turquoise or Blue from the sea, or Green or deep or light teal green (from the bottom of the ocean). Use Blue & other bright colors in moderation & make sure the blue is toned down with a bit of "gray". This way the blue will look more "natural" & less "juvenile".

*** Stay away from Red, Orange & Yellow, as these colors are WAY to vibrant (In fact fast food restaurants will use them when they want you to eat fast & LEAVE!) These colors won't be relaxing at all.

* If you really hate natural/neutrals, then you can also go with just white or all pastel colors. It's up to you.

As far as decorating STYLE & DECOR, It's really all about what feels comfortable to YOU. Most people like a simpler, slightly modern "Spa-Like" atmosphere(with hardly any clutter) & maybe you do to. But, If you like more a "Traditional" decor or a "More-is better" Victorian type of decor, then, by all means go for it! It's all about what YOU like! But the key to a RELAXING atmosphere, is "NATURE" because Nature is soothing!.

Think Leaves, & twigs, or Stones laying in a tray of water surrounding candles, & maybe a nice fountain in your room. You could even put a mural on one wall of trees or waves or something of the sort. If you are still having a hard time picturing this, then log on to the web & Google the word "SPAS" or "Luxury Spas". They take a look at the way they've decorated & the colors they've use & grab a clue from these guys, because that's what they do for a living, get people to RELAX...

Be sure to use some plants in your room, be they real or silk! A classy thing is to take an "up" light (under $10) & shine it from the ground to up on the plants foliage, so the leaves reflect on your wall & ceiling. Some people will trace this foliage & paint it as a shadow on their wall.

---> One last thing: Try to include something for each of your 5 senses. For example: candles with a great fragrance (smell), a soft fuzzy throw or blanket (touch), a fountain that sounds like water (hearing). Crystals that sparkle in the sun (visual). Anyway, you get the picture. If you're wondering what fragrance to use, studies show that most people prefer Vanilla (It reminds them of their mother's baking) the second most favorite is the smell of Fruit.

If you wear perfume, then your rooms' scent should not clash with your perfume. I had a friend who would shake a bit of her favorite scented power at the foot of her bed under her sheets & they always smelled so good & not to strong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About merging your bathroom & offices decor. You need not have the same style, but you'll need to include some of the main color from one room to the other, IF you CAN see one room when you're in the next. If you CAN'T see one room when you're in the next, you don't HAVE to include one of the other rooms' colors, but if you can, it looks best if you do.

Here's an example: Let's say you've decided to use the color Tan as your main color in your bedroom & you've chose hunter green for your office. Well, your office could include a bit of Tan in it as an accent. Or, visa-versa. Also: When you use color in a room, try to use it in at least 3 or 4 different places, that are spaced all around the whole room. If your accent color (which is usually brighter, but not always) was Burgundy, or Charcoal Gray, you'd not want it on only one side of the room, but blended around the whole room!

*It's best to choose your fabrics & bedding & shower curtains FIRST, before you choose your paint colors, because paint can always be mixed to match anything! Pick colors that make YOU happy & everything will fall into place. Here's a money saving tip: Buy your "BIG-TICKET" items in neutral colors, this way if you get board with your color pallet, you can always change your less expensive accent pieces.

I did this when I purchased my couch, I chose a deep hunter green because I know that I like flowers & nature & this color of green is in practically everything in nature. I can easily go from a Hunter green, brown & tan decor, to a hunter, lavender & purple or Hunter & Burgundy & Rose at Christmas.

* As far as bathroom fixtures & metal lamps & such, the rule of thumb is this: Silver & Aluminum is for more "Modern" & contemporary decorous, gold is for traditional & Copper & Black Metal& (like iron work) is for more "old fashioned" & "Ranch" style decors.

Hope this Helps!

I would keep the wall colors soft , as bright colors can make it difficult to relax. You can always use the brighter colors as accents, as in throw pillows, flowers arrangements, etc. Also to make it relaxing at night, you can place a bowl of lavender potpourri on the nightstand.

The most relaxing bedroom I've ever had was painted a pale gray/amethyst. When that gorgeous pale purple twilight sky appeared outside my bedroom window, the walls blended in seamlessly and it felt as if the entire room was outside. In the daytime, it was a soothing pale dove looking color. I think the official name of the paint color WAS twilight, in fact.

November 26, 2011 Flag

First of all, my time is at a premium. I am a mom of 7 kids, am go to nursing school during the day, and work full-time nights at a local manufacturer. We have been in this house for two years. I still have not started to decorate or coordinate anything in my rooms.

The first place I want to decorate is our bedroom. I have a nice bedroom set with a dark espresso wood-bed, long dresser, two nightstands, and a tall dresser. Also an old long ugly dresser that I hate, but we need it.

My mom also gave me a white goose down comforter for my b-day. I love it, but need to make a duvet for it. I want to create a coordinating look for my bed. I can sew, but do not know how to go about this.

How do I redo this over to make it and make my bedroom a space of sanctuary for me?

By Cathy B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A lot of people don't have co-ordinated rooms. You can buy duvets ready made. If you don't like the white, which will actually co-ordinate with anything you put with it, I think I have heard of people using two sheets in the size to fit the comorter and sew them up on three sides with right sides facing each other then turn them right side out and sew buttons and button holes on the open side and when you get your comforter inside button the end up so the comforter doesn't slip out. My thought is when I see duvets advertised, is that it would be hard to keep the comforter nice and smooth inside.

My mom always sewed two sheets together for a douvet. She used snaps instead of taking the time to make button holes. She also tacked a large snap to each corner of the comforter and the inside corners of the douvet to snap them together and keep the comfortor from bunching and twisting inside the douvet. The sheet thing works well because you can get matching pillowcases. Lots of sheets are available with pretty print right now if you're not a solids person.

You can also use sheets to create curtains, table runners, and pillow covers to coordinate your bedroom; make a cover for that 'ugly-but-needed' piece of furniture that you can easily lift off when you need to open a drawer or cabinet door.

Look at the piece of ugly furniture as a table or a bed to figure out how to sew up a cover-you need a top, two long sides (to drop down in front and in back), and two ends. You can use piping to dress it up, pleats, panels that cover but leave the front drop unattached at the sides so it's easier to flip up to get into the furniture. The possibilities are endless when you know how to sew:)

Using sheets in solid colours makes it easier to coordinate, too-you can use florals or geometrics (depends on your tastes) as accents. For example you can make ruffled pillows using florals for the ruffles sewn to a solid pillow cover, or vice-versa. You can get really fancy and create rows of contrasting ruffles or pleats that open to a contrasting panel.

Surf the 'Net for inspiration, then go looking for the material in a more budget conscious store, and sew up a whole new look for your bedroom.

I am actually re-doing my bedroom right now. I have this beautiful blue and yellow comforter and sham set, so I am painting the accent wall at the head of my bed blue and the other three walls yellow. The doors will be yellow with the trim around the windows and door blue to match.

I also have an ugly dresser that I am going to paint to match, I just haven't decided if I am going to paint the frame yellow and the drawers blue or the other way around. Then for curtains I am using sheets. I have 1 long window where I am putting 2 yellow sheets in the middle with a blue sheet on each end touching the yellow wall. This is a fairly pale yellow called buttercup and a nautical blue.

This will be an inexpensive redo. Sheets and paint. Explore your options and have fun.

A trick my father taught me was to find a large picture that has the color of your headboard, then draw from the picture. I have a large oil painting in my bathroom and chose yellows in it for my towels and white for the walls and cupboards. The painting ties it all together. I could go with black accessories on the counter as there are touches of black in the painting but I prefer a minimal look as it's easier to clean.

Nicely decorated bedroom.
Decorating a Bedroom
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating BedroomMarch 4, 2008
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
🎉
🎄