Freeze Bananas in Their Peel

When the last bananas in a bunch get over ripe, I just put them in the freezer "as is" to save for when I want to make banana bread. The bananas get horrid looking when they are frozen; black and wrinkly, but the insides stay perfectly good.

When I want to bake, I thaw the desired number of bananas until they are soft. Then I just break off the end and squeeze the banana pulp into a measuring cup, just as you would squeeze toothpaste from a tube. 1 cup banana pulp is right for a loaf of banana bread. This saves waste from unused bananas, but lets me bake when it's convenient for me.

By Karen from Huntington, WV

Top Comment

I recently found a similar trick. I hate bananas but I was tired of throwing them away if my kid did not eat them. SO, I decided to cut them in coin shaped pieces and freeze. They are delicious. What a healthy treat on a hot day. Next I am going to try adding Magic Shell for chocolate covered bananas bites!

Top Comment

I like to slice a banana, freeze it, and then make a smoothie with the frozen banana slices, chocolate soy milk, and honey.

This is exactly what I do - freeze in the peel! Thaw and use as you would a typical banana. Enjoy!

Do you just throw them in the freezer? I'm wondering if I need to put them in a bag or anything, or if they're safe to eat just in the freezer in their peel.