Freeze Bananas in Their Peel

When the last bananas in a bunch get over ripe, I just put them in the freezer "as is" to save for when I want to make banana bread. The bananas get horrid looking when they are frozen; black and wrinkly, but the insides stay perfectly good.

When I want to bake, I thaw the desired number of bananas until they are soft. Then I just break off the end and squeeze the banana pulp into a measuring cup, just as you would squeeze toothpaste from a tube. 1 cup banana pulp is right for a loaf of banana bread. This saves waste from unused bananas, but lets me bake when it's convenient for me.

By Karen from Huntington, WV

I recently found a similar trick. I hate bananas but I was tired of throwing them away if my kid did not eat them. SO, I decided to cut them in coin shaped pieces and freeze. They are delicious. What a healthy treat on a hot day. Next I am going to try adding Magic Shell for chocolate covered bananas bites!

I like to slice a banana, freeze it, and then make a smoothie with the frozen banana slices, chocolate soy milk, and honey.

This is exactly what I do - freeze in the peel! Thaw and use as you would a typical banana. Enjoy!

Do you just throw them in the freezer? I'm wondering if I need to put them in a bag or anything, or if they're safe to eat just in the freezer in their peel.

A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesAugust 3, 2009
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Peeling Potatoes
Peeling Potatoes
mashed bananas in baggie
Freezing Overripe Bananas