Freezing Bananas in the Peel

A common way to freeze bananas for use later is to simply freeze them with the peel still intact. This is a guide about freezing bananas in the peel.

When the last bananas in a bunch get over ripe, I just put them in the freezer "as is" to save for when I want to make banana bread. The bananas get horrid looking when they are frozen; black and wrinkly, but the insides stay perfectly good.

When I want to bake, I thaw the desired number of bananas until they are soft. Then I just break off the end and squeeze the banana pulp into a measuring cup, just as you would squeeze toothpaste from a tube. 1 cup banana pulp is right for a loaf of banana bread. This saves waste from unused bananas, but lets me bake when it's convenient for me.

By Karen from Huntington, WV

Top Comment

I recently found a similar trick. I hate bananas but I was tired of throwing them away if my kid did not eat them. SO, I decided to cut them in coin shaped pieces and freeze. They are delicious. What a healthy treat on a hot day. Next I am going to try adding Magic Shell for chocolate covered bananas bites!

Top Comment

I like to slice a banana, freeze it, and then make a smoothie with the frozen banana slices, chocolate soy milk, and honey.

Freeze medium ripe, skin-on, bananas in freezer bags. To use, allow bananas to partially thaw at room temperature, 5-10 minutes so skins can be easily removed. These bananas are excellent and handy for baking.

By Rhoda from Rock Rapids, IA

If you freeze the bananas in their skins are they still alright to use or are they bad?

By Peg

Answers

Best Answer

I always freeze bananas in their skins. When I'm ready to use them, I thaw them in a cereal bowl, peel them and mash them up. The fruit will be very soft, perfect for using in banana breads/muffins. My favorite way to use them, though, is to peel them while still frozen, and blend them with some orange juice and a bit of vanilla yogurt for a delicious , chilled breakfast smoothie. They are also great when blended with chocolate milk and a bit of peanut butter for a quick, protein filled breakfast shake!

Best Answer

They are great used frozen in smoothies. I just put them in the freezer skins and all, when I want a smoothie I take them out and cut them in half the long way and pull off the peel and pop them in the blender or in a glass of milk and use the immersion blender, good stuff.

Basset G.

Best Answer

They are fine to use but I have much better luck with peeling them and putting them in a plastic bag. It is also easier to use them if you have measured out the amount you want for your recipe before freezing. They will turn dark if left in freezer very long but are still good to use in a baked recipe. We love banana bread muffins!

Best Answer

The best way to freeze bananas for recipes or smoothies is to peel them first, cut up in one inch chunks and toss in a bowl of carbonated lemon-lime beverage briefly (cheaper and less messy than lemon juice and still keeps them from browning so fast) and then spread them on a cookie or baking sheet and freezes solid.

When frozen, put into a ziptop bag. Then you can take out as much as you need for what you are doing and leave the rest for later. Each chunk is about a tablespoon. Great way to use the really ripe bananas that you can catch on sale at the produce section, and you will always have them on hand when you need them.

No, the frozen ones are not good for a fruit salad, so make your fruit salad the day you buy them, but still toss them with some carbonated lemon-lime soda to keep from browning. I can't remember who taught me that but it works for peaches too.

How long can bananas in their peel be frozen for?

By Beth