Freezing Overripe Bananas

If you are not ready to use them now, you can freeze overripe bananas for use later in baking. This is a guide about freezing overripe bananas.

adding lemon juice

Those browning bananas on your counter don't need to get thrown away, even if you aren't ready to use them right now. Freezing them is a great way to use them later in banana bread or any recipe that uses mashed banana.

Freezing Mashed Bananas

Here is the perfect thing to do with bananas that ripen too soon. Mash them up and freeze them for a future batch of banana bread or pancakes, or just to add to a morning smoothie.

Do you sometime buy too many bananas? When the outside peel turns dark, don't throw them away. Take off the peel, put in zip lock bags, and freeze until you get ready to bake something. Use them in banana bread or any kind of baking that calls for mashed bananas. I bake with all my left over bananas. This was taught to me by my mother.

By Queen BEE from TN

Good saving tip for bananas.

I use to throw over ripe bananas in the freezer to be used in the future for baking. Now I put the peeled bananas in a covered baking dish and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes in the microwave. The pulp will separate from the water. Transfer the banana pulp and liquid to a sauce pan and slowly cook on low heat, careful to not burn. The liquid will turn into a thick sweet liquid. Cool the bananas mixture and measure out into one cup measurements and freeze for later use.

Note: 1 cup cooked bananas equal 2 uncooked bananas.

The results will be a more flavorful banana recipe.

By Elaine from Monmouth Junction, NJ

What a treat! I found very ripe bananas for $1/5 pounds. Very few were soft, so I took a chance. I also bought some chocolate shell, because I remember frozen chocolate covered bananas from my days of working at Knott's Berry Farm.