Freezing Mashed Bananas

Here is the perfect thing to do with bananas that ripen too soon. Mash them up and freeze them for a future batch of banana bread or pancakes, or just to add to a morning smoothie.

Those browning bananas on your counter don't need to get thrown away, even if you aren't ready to use them right now. Freezing them is a great way to use them later in banana bread or any recipe that uses mashed banana.

• overripe bananas
  • lemon juice
  • freezer bag

1. Peel the bananas and put them in a bowl. Using a fork, mash them up to the desired consistency.
  2. Add 1 tsp. of lemon juice per 1 cup of mashed banana. This will help keep them from turning brown.
  3. Place them into a freezer bag and don't forget to label them with the date. NOTE: Mashed banana is good for 3-4 months, if stored properly in the freezer.

Videos

Save money on bananas! Those browning bananas on your counter don't need to get thrown away, even if you aren't ready to use them right now. Freezing them is a great way to use them later in banana bread or any recipe that uses mashed banana.

View the full recipe here: Freezing Mashed Bananas

I love making banana bread. It is one of my favorites. I thought I would share what I do with my ripened bananas.

I buy bananas with each food shopping day. I always make sure I buy a few extra. When they are ripened, I peel, mash (a bit chunky) and put them in a Rubbermaid airtight sealed container. I always use ones that are marked with the amount they hold. I use 2 cup containers.

The preview you will see holds 1 3/4 cups. I write out a sticky label with the amount and the date and freeze them. When I have enough (about 6 cups of mashed bananas), I thaw them in lukewarm water, and this makes 4 large banana breads. I won't write the recipe as I have already posted my banana bread recipe. Unless otherwise I am asked to.

A lot of people do not think that mashed bananas can be frozen. They freeze just fine! Enjoy! :)
Editor's Note: We have linked to Jackie's Banana Bread Squares recipe below.

Link: Frosted Banana Bread Squares

My banana mash was out of the freezer long enough for the outside layer of mash to thaw. The center and main chunk stayed frozen. So I put it back in the freezer. Do you think I could still thaw it totally out and use it to bake?

By Sandi H

Answers

My mother and my home ec teacher both said that if the majority of the frozen food was still frozen, it was safe to use. I received this advice 50 plus years ago when in junior high school, and have followed it ever since with no ill effects. Hope this helps.

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesFebruary 27, 2017
🎃