Freezing Bananas in Their Skin?

If you freeze the bananas in their skins are they still alright to use or are they bad?

By Peg

Best Answer

I always freeze bananas in their skins. When I'm ready to use them, I thaw them in a cereal bowl, peel them and mash them up. The fruit will be very soft, perfect for using in banana breads/muffins. My favorite way to use them, though, is to peel them while still frozen, and blend them with some orange juice and a bit of vanilla yogurt for a delicious , chilled breakfast smoothie. They are also great when blended with chocolate milk and a bit of peanut butter for a quick, protein filled breakfast shake!

Best Answer

They are great used frozen in smoothies. I just put them in the freezer skins and all, when I want a smoothie I take them out and cut them in half the long way and pull off the peel and pop them in the blender or in a glass of milk and use the immersion blender, good stuff.

Basset G.

Best Answer

They are fine to use but I have much better luck with peeling them and putting them in a plastic bag. It is also easier to use them if you have measured out the amount you want for your recipe before freezing. They will turn dark if left in freezer very long but are still good to use in a baked recipe. We love banana bread muffins!

Best Answer

The best way to freeze bananas for recipes or smoothies is to peel them first, cut up in one inch chunks and toss in a bowl of carbonated lemon-lime beverage briefly (cheaper and less messy than lemon juice and still keeps them from browning so fast) and then spread them on a cookie or baking sheet and freezes solid.

When frozen, put into a ziptop bag. Then you can take out as much as you need for what you are doing and leave the rest for later. Each chunk is about a tablespoon. Great way to use the really ripe bananas that you can catch on sale at the produce section, and you will always have them on hand when you need them.

No, the frozen ones are not good for a fruit salad, so make your fruit salad the day you buy them, but still toss them with some carbonated lemon-lime soda to keep from browning. I can't remember who taught me that but it works for peaches too.

I peel mine, freeze them and we eat them still frozen. They make lovely ice-lollies.
Marg from England

P.S. Freezing bananas will make their skins turn dark and the texture of the fruit will be very soft, when thawed.

I do it all the time for use in cakes and breads.

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesAugust 12, 2011
👒
🐛
🌻
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Bananas-in-Their-Skin.html