Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

I would like to know how to keep stray dogs off of your lawn.

By Terri from Ocean Springs, MS

When you see them coming in your yard, go to the window or door and yell SHOO! SHOO! GET OUT OF HERE! while clapping your hands. Do this every time you see them, and eventually they won't come in your yard anymore.

When you see them in your yard shoot them with a blast of water from a water gun. I will scare them, a couple of times and they won't be back

August 24, 2010 Flag

How do you keep small dogs from pooping on your lawn?

By Mike from Drumheller, AB

Answers:

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

Goodness, the person who suggested electric fencing must be an animal hater! It's the owner's fault, not the dog's. Punish the owner if you must. It's quite natural for dogs (or any other animal) to try to mark out new territory; it's instinct. If the owner won't do the right thing the best thing to do is put up a fence but not an electric one. In Australia, by law, the neighbour has to pay half the dividing fence costs. Suggest to your neighbour that you are thinking of putting up a fence and the reason why. He may then keep an eye on his puppy in order to avoid the cost! Good luck. (10/19/2009)

By merry50

October 13, 2009 Flag

Dog owners are using my front lawn as their pet's toilet. I need a frugal way to keep dogs off the lawn that isn't hurtful.

Answers:

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

You could try a little sign out in front of your house asking dog owners to take their pets elsewhere or pick up their dogs poop, (Please pick up what your dog leaves behind, or something like that). If you are home when it's happening, politely ask the dog owner to please clean up after their dog.

I've read that cayenne pepper works well. Once they get a good whiff of it they will avoid that place for good, so a line of it along the borders will work until it rains. There are "Dog-Be-Gone" crystals to put out in your yard. These are available at WalMart. I've also read that miniature roses and lavender planted along the edge of your property discourage the dogs from choosing your lawn.

If all else fails, a good fence might be your best bet. (10/08/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

One would think that pet owners know they should clean up after their pets. How unfair when you don't own a pet and constantly have to clean up someone else's mess. I think they need to have a little class. How would they like it if everyday they had to clean up dog mess and they don't even own a dog. These are adults and one would think they know better. (03/26/2006)

By Jennifer

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

I found this sign to be quite humorous~

http://www.yuckos.com/dogsignsdead.htm (08/17/2006)

By L

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

These pet owners have obviously never encountered parvo or the likes of. As a pet owner who has, I understand the importance of picking up after your dog. I make sure if I'm out walking that my dog does it's business before we leave, and if that is unavoidable I try to make sure it's in the bushes and picked up still. I find that no confrontation is needed, if you catch the owner letting his dog do his business in your yard, just standing there and staring at him/her seems to work well. We have a neighbor that likes to let their dog do it's business on our fence line in the back and not clean it up. My husband goes out and scoops it up and throws it back in their yard. (07/29/2007)

By diane_39

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

I have a neighbor that lets his dog out in his front yard to do his thing and it does it in my yard and the other neighbor's. The only time he picks it up is when you are out there. He is really good friends with the other neighbor and when no one is home and the dog uses their yard he leaves it there. He has a backyard that is fenced in but he lets it use the front yard. Where he has somehow trained it to use other people's yards. This has been going on for 2 years.

I started putting mothballs in my front yard and the dog has been staying out of my yard. Dogs don't like the smell of the them. The first time I put them out I watched him, he started to come over and when he got close to the yard he backed away and went back towards his yard. It works better in the summer. I haven't put any out since the fall, and I haven't found any poop in my yard. (01/28/2008)

By alexandria

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

When I lived in California I had a new front lawn put in for my Mom. A man walked his dog every day and let him do his business on our lawn. At a nursery I found a product that came in a carton like milk. It was granules that really stunk and was called dog off. I can't find it here in Florida. (04/30/2008)

By Jan Grenot

Keeping Dogs Off Lawn

Electric livestock fencing at the offending dogs level around property with all appropriate warning signs to keep it legal. (02/14/2009)

Keep Dogs Out of Your Yard
How to Keep Dogs Out of Your Yard
Home and Garden Pest Control DogsAugust 24, 2010
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
Clump of sod with dirt in the background.
Getting Rid of Lawn
🎄