FlowersGardening

Stems on Giant Sunflowers Always Break Before Blooming

I love sunflowers and love to grow them, but right before they bloom the stem breaks and they are left hanging or drop to the ground. I don't get the chance to enjoy their lovely blooms, what could it be?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By sunflowerlover from Crocker, MO

The sunflowers I've seen are planted around my area are in vegetable garden rows on the border side with corn planted in the next rows. Planted in the open leaves them vulnerable to strong summer storms (wind and heavy rain,etc) and they topple over from lack of support. Plant them against the side of a building or barn on the sunny side. Sunflowers naturally bend toward the sunlight. Using strong string to help support the plants as they grow taller will help to keep them upright so you can enjoy their blooms. If you still desire to plant out in the open, place several stakes around the outside of the sunflower bed and enclose them in strong string connected to the stakes.

SQUIRRELS! Especially if it's generally just the bloom. I'm having the same problem here. We had tornado weather here just this weekend and it didn't damage our giant sunflowers at all. I have now learned from this experience to NOT plant them near fences or trees or any other thing that they can jump from.