Make Your Own Sugar Cubes

I would like to know if anyone knows how to make sugar cubes? My DH only likes to use the cubes and they can be expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Pico from ST. PAUL, ALBERTA

Best Answer

Regular sugar with a little warm water - should be clumpy not runny. Pack into molds, ice cube trays, etc. until they dry out. You can add food coloring to the water before you mix it to make them decorative. You can buy molds at any online bakery supply store. They are very inexpensive. :)

Wow, that's a tricky request. I couldn't find anything about making your own sugar cubes by surfing. However, as a crafter, I started thinking about how many crafters (not me, tho) make the sugar eggs and decorate them. So, I was thinking if you use the sugar recipe (which is just sugar and a very small amount of water) and then buy miniature ice cube trays, you could probably use the ice trays as a mold. Anyway....just a thought. Here's a site for the sugar eggs and it has the proportions for sugar and water: http://www.reci  ildseason15.html Here's a site for mini ice cube trays: http://www.kitc  -cube-trays.html

Try this link:

http://www.wren  ugarmoldinst.php

I don't think there's any good, easy or cheap way to make your own sugar cubes. Sounds like it'd be a lot of trouble. Not to be minding your business or anything but why can't DH use regular granulated sugar? Maybe if he had to try making the sugar cubes himself or be buying them all the time, he'd decide he can "make do" with regular sugar! JMHO

Expecting his wife to make sugar cubes is a bit much.

1.) get a mold

2.) mix sugar and hot water together

3.) add sugar mixed with a little hot water into mold. sugar is not suppose to be watery. put the sugar onto cardboard place somewhere until it dries. do not place where ants will get it.

I hope your DH enjoys your cubes. :[ ).

your a nice lady.

Time is money... & with the tiny, little bit of money it takes to buy the sugar cubes... This is one instance where I'd just shell out the small amount of extra change & use the time it would have taken to make the cubes for something more productive. (unless you need a special color or shape for a special occasion)

Buy the sugar cubes at Costco or Sam's in bulk & get on with your life!

Thanks you for the great question and information. Where I live, you can not buy sugar cubes and the horses love them and I always enjoy carrying them in my pocket. I will try the recipe, there are no silly questions

Have you ever tried to find sugar cubes? I want to share an art project from my youth (snow house), but sugar tablets are not available anywhere!

<b>Editor's Note</b> Try a restaurant supply store.

Wow! Thanks! I need this for our science experiment and I didn't know how to make it! Thanks a lot for posting!

I don't think she said her DH expects her to make sugar cubes for him. She seems to be a very nice person trying to find a less expensive way for her DH to have something he apparently likes a great deal. Too bad more people aren't as thoughtful. It is amazing how many negative comments are posted. Regardless of her reasons, nobody has the right to criticize her. As my Mother would say, "if you can't say something nice, it is better to say nothing at all".

Sugar cubes or "lumps" as the British say, are for sweetening drinks such as coffee or tea. They are equal to one teaspoon per lump, hence the expression, "One lump or two?" Loose or bagged sugar is used for baking.

Wow, thank you for posting this so much. I am 13 and looking for a cheap way of making treats for my horses, and I couldn't find one to make sugar cubes. Thank you very much! Your husband is a really lucky guy to have a sweet wife that will go through that much work to just do a little thing, that puts a smile on his face.(=

I have bought sugar cubes already and was looking for a recipe to add color to them for my daughter's school project Can anyone help? I do not wish to make them from scratch.

Add little water to the sugar till it is about a 3 to 1 ratio. Then let sit in the house or in sun house is recommended.

I'll try to make the sugar cubes with a mini ice cube mold. I'm inviting my friends from school for a tea party in my house in Lima. I haven't seen my friends for decades so I want to make everything special and also very english.

Just mix the food coloring (if desired) with sugar and a scant amount of water and use a mold like a small cookie cutter like a miniature cookie cutter.

I have a cake book that has a recipe for heart shaped pastel sugar cubes and that's what they say to do.