Thrifty Blues Clues Party

My son just turned 3, and he's a big Blue's Clues fan! The official licensed party supplies are expensive though. An 8 pack of plates alone costs $2.99, and I was expecting about 24 guests at his party--the cost for plates, napkins and cups would've been about $33! We also had food for our guests, so our costs would've been pretty out of control if we had bought all the licensed products!

We're on a tight budget, so what I did was make a lot of my own party supplies. This is an example of one of the items for the treat, or goody bags. I just printed labels with a picture of Blue and my son's name on a sheet of regular blank address labels, then put them on the front of mini Hershey's bars. I did something similar for bottles of bubbles. I also bought regular paper cups in shades of blue, added Blue's Clues stickers to the fronts, and ta-da! Blue's Clues cups at a fraction of the cost! also has free printables, so I printed off pictures of Blue, big pawprints and other characters for decorating. Streamers and balloons in shades of blue helped complete the theme, and my mom made a homemade Blue's Clues cake. All in all, the only "real" licensed products I used were a package of small plates, a package of small napkins (about $6), and a couple of mylar balloons with Blue on them (a steal at only $1.08 each!). The rest of his Blue's Clues party was "homemade"--at a great savings to us!

By Lisa from WI from Kenosha, WI

Blues Clues Party

How creative and frugal of you! What wonderful ideas you came up with and you were still able to give your son the Blue's Clues party of his dreams.

What a wonderful idea! I would have never thought of that on my own. You just gave me an idea on what to do for my 6 year old's birthday party. Thanks!

Very good ideas! I'm sure you gave some good ideas to others. I myself find all that paper stuff to expensive but also so wasteful since it's all thrown away ....but when it comes to your kids, you want to make special occasions really special. Little kids don't know the difference either so your homemade stuff was just as nice in your son's eyes!

Good job! I agree that the printed plates, cups & napkins are a big waste. They do look very festive at first but they get cover with food and thrown away!

the stickers on the cups is a great idea, you could even personalize them somehow so everyone knows which one is theirs

Photos PartyAugust 10, 2006
Museum Themed Party
Throwing Museum Themed Party
Mexican Fondue
Hot Party Dip Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Blues Brothers Costume
Home Decorated for Girl's Birthday Party
Decorating Your Home for a Party