Identifying a Porcelain Musical Doll

Category Dolls
It's important to try to find any written or stamped clues on the doll's body, in order to identify the manufacturer of a porcelain musical doll.

I have searched far and wide and cannot find out who this doll is made by. I thought maybe Marie Osmond, or her Olive May collection, or Gorham, but I just can't find anything.

She is a beautiful porcelain doll with black ringlets. She is also musical and plays "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". She has markings on her neck o/m A-2019

She is wearing a red velvet dress and cape.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe this doll was made to sell in stores for Christmas. Many markets in the US sold these dolls during the holidays to use as home decorations.

The O/M is not a doll maker or at least a famous doll maker. As for the number on this doll it looks like the lot number the manufacture used when selling the dolls. These dolls are mass produced and sold during the holidays. I purchased a similar doll in 2004 for my mom. It was a musical doll such as this and it played a Christmas song.

The music box plays "do re mi". There are no marks whatsoever. I know it is at least from 1940 or earlier.

Answers

Can you please clarify for me? Yous aid it plays do re mi...like from Sound of Music? Everything I know about that song (which is not a lot, but I do love a good musical) is that the song was from either 1959 or 1960...which would mean the doll was from that era, not the 1940s.

Is it possible it plays a different tune or it is not the Sound of Music Do Re Mi? Just trying to clarify so I can give you the best info possible. Thanks for helping this old brain to figure it out!

I think it does have value. Your best bet is to take it to a dealer who specializes in dolls.

Cute doll. I guess you have your reasons for feeling the doll is from before 1940 but I agree with Pghgirl that DO Re Me tune is from Sound of Music and that was 1959. Perhaps it is another tune that sounds like Do Re Mi?

You can ask about your doll on the doll forum. You can ask your question and present your pictures (as well as measurements). These are real doll people and can identify most dolls but they do not offer very much information on value of a doll.

If you decide to do this, please post back with what you find out.

www.tapatalk.com/.../

I received this doll from a neighbor who dealt in antiques. I don't know much about it and I couldn't find it on the internet. It is on a stand and has a key in the back to turn that plays music. The pink dress has a stain and is faded as well. I am curious what it is worth as well as any information about it such as time period. I am sure it is not worth much since it is most likely mass produced and not in very good condition.

Answers

I would upload the picture to the forum at www.dollreference.com and see if someone can answer there, if you don't get an answer here.

Are there any markings on it at all? There should be some insignia on the bottom or under the dress. Maybe comb the hair carefully.

You can find antique appraisers on the internet. Try to take some good pictures in good lighting. They can give you an approximate estimate. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks.

I've got two porcelain dolls with no markings (or shoes!) and am wondering what they are if anyone can help :). They seem to be of the same brand and both have music boxes in their backs if that helps.

Answers

These dolls look old. Undress them and see if you can find markings.

It will be harder to give a value and age if you dont know who manufactured it.

Hi Judy! I looked again & there's nothing under the hair or on the feet + no tags or anything on the clothing. These dolls are at least 25 years old from what I know.