Identifying Cathay Collection Porcelain Dolls?

I have a 42" Cathay Collection porcelain doll. How can I identify this doll? I do not see a tag or certificate in the box.

Are there any markings or stamped info on the doll itself? I have searched hundreds of images on the internet.

Thanks :)

Answers

Best Answer

Interesting and quite lovely. I never knew Cathay to make a 42 inch doll, but the stores I sold these in did not always have floor space for big dolls, so i am much more familiar with the smaller dolls.

Cathay did not "name" all of their dolls, so I am not sure if your girley ever had a formal name. That she doesn't have a number somewhere (under her hair or on her tush or feet) is unusual, but I have seen some without a name.

It all looks authentic so I don't think anyone did the old switcheroo, that we used to see all the time in some of the stores I worked in, where people would try to put an expensive doll in the cheap doll box hoping that the check out gal would be clueless and they would get a bargain.

I have not tried this company yet and it is hard to tell if it is the original Cathay or someone using the name...but you could see if this company can help you figure out exactly who you have:

cathaydoll.com/

If you are tying to sell her down the road and she was supposed to come with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and yours doesn't, that will devalue her some. I hope she is one of the few tall dolls that still has value.

Sadly most tall dolls lately are fetching a whopping 0 dollars on most sites. They are too big and since that lady started her Netflix show about downsizing and does it "spark joy", people have been glutting the market with every size and shape of doll imaginable because they no longer spark the joy that the cold hard cash they spent for them would give them This has driven the already saturated doll market (for sale) SKY HIGH and the prices are WAY, WAY, WAY LOW.

Sad.

Post back if the company link I have you offered any help. I am so curious about this one.

Blessings.

Answer this Question

7 More Questions

I have a lot of Cathay Collection dolls. When we bought them we didn't put the names on the doll. I have all the certificates, how can I find out what name goes with which doll?

Answers

Best Answer

My first pass would be to check the COA and match the series number of the doll to the back of the doll's neck--like if you have a COA for 250/5000 and a doll with 250/5000 that should be a match. Now if you have 5 that are 250/5000 that won't work.

Also, if you have the boxes, there may be some series numbers that can help you match a series to a COA (but they won't go down to the doll level).

You can try to verify them by checking them online, but I can tell you from years of experience, several things:

1. Sellers often have no clue what they are selling and you will have to look through thousands of listings, across multiple sites to try to match a name to a face and that said, many don't have the doll's name in the listing.

2. When I worked in retail, people often would switch COAs with cheaper dolls getting a more expensive doll COA so as to promote it for being more valuable. Not every doll being sold has the right COA. Hopefully you have all of the original COAs and no one tampered with them in the store years ago.

3. If you are doing this to sell, the COA to some buyers is important, but to others, they would prefer to pay a little less to get a pretty doll. You can try listing them without the COA. In some cases this will make a difference of you getting $5-6 dollars for a doll vs. $7-10. The doll market is a glut market at the moment and value of most is very low so there is not a huge mark up if you have the COA.

Answer this Question

I have a 16 inch Cathay Collection cowboy doll brand new in the box. The item no. Is 16871. I can't find anything except a possible name for it which is Paul, but I can't find more than 1 online.
Please help here is the photo of the doll I found online compared to mine.

Answers

Best Answer

Does this look like yours: www.ebay.com/.../352327906204?hash=item520861339c...

It was a completed auction that sold on eBay for 9.99 plus shipping.

There were two UNSOLD for 17 and some change: www.ebay.com/.../192552084550

I don't see a name, just they call her a cowgirl.

They made a variety of cow boy and girl dolls...the most popular ones I saw have long brown curly hair.

Hope this helps!

Answer this Question

I bought four different dolls I would like to know about. I don't care about how much they would be worth now, but would like to know names, by whom they were created, year they were created, and how much they were sold for when they were created.

I have only two names for the dolls because they came with a tag that had their names. I would love to know more about them. Any and all answers will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

I would post the pictures and questions to the forum at www.dollreference.com. These dolls are mass-produced and worth $25 or less. You may have to spend a lot of time researching dolls that are not worth much. It is up to you, of course.

Boy do I wished I had saved all of my old materials from when I worked in various stores selling dolls to give you exact sold prices back when they were new.

Part of that process is going to be a challenge as stores had various prices. For example, if you bought it in a Hallmark you may have paid up to 20 or 30 dollars more than if you had bought the same doll in a department store.

Dolls averaged $20 to $100 new. Some--the really fancy ones with cases and stands, could top out in the mid to high $200s.

All of your dolls appear to be from the 1980s and the 1990s.

Finding their exact names and exact years--even with the tags be impossible because some of the companies did not name the dolls because they wanted the new owner to name them and makers wanted the dolls to appear "timeless" which they did to give the allure that they were going to be valuable in the future.

Doll 1 is a Crimson Collection gal. There is a lot on line about these dolls and you will find hundreds on eBay and Etsy for sale so you can see if you can find an exact match to yours to learn more. You may find the exact match where the owner tells when he/she bought it and how much they paid new.

Doll 2 appears to be a Patricia Rose gal. You can see if someone from her website can authenticate her:
patriciarosestudio.com/

Doll 3 is from the Cathay Collection.There are thousands and thousands of these dolls online for sale. They were primarily found in North America (mostly US). They are one of the most commonly found dolls out there. Learning more specifics about these is hard because you have to wade through so many to learn about them.

Doll 4 is a House of Global doll. They were made by J. A. Designs. I didn't sell these, so I am not as familiar with them. They were called Art Dolls when new.

There are a bunch of doll sites on Facebook that may be able to give you the level of detail you are asking for. My favorites are:

"Let's Id our dolls!!!"

and

"Porcelain doll collector's + accessories buy and sell"

You have to ask to join these groups. They folks on there are very nice.

Post back if they can give you more specifics! Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

I was wondering if anyone had any information about this doll. I don't see any numbers on her and the box doesn't say much.

She's a Cathay doll, but I can't seem to find much about her. Any ideas?

Answers

I think you have a Royal Cathay Collection doll (is she 15 inches tall)?

If so, then if memory serves me correctly, this lovely gal is named "Winifred".

Like most of the dolls sold from the 1970s to early 2000s (I have lost track of her year) she was a doll that was touted as a "Limited Edition" but that meant HIGH THOUSANDS of dolls. Sadly today, that has driven the value down significantly. A true limited edition should be 100 or less or ideally 50 or less.

I see people ASKING (at various auction and doll sites) in the 20 range for her. I have yet to see one SOLD at that or any price--so sad. Value = sold price.

She is lovely! These were quite popular when they were new as they were unusual. Flapper style almost. Unlike most of the little girl, dolly style dolls, she was a grown up and elegant. I loved these gals!!

Post back if you sell her and where you are located. I would love to know what they are worth (what someone pays for her).

Thanks for sharing her!! Brought back nice memories!

Answer this Question

She is approximately 16.5 inches tall; she is from the Cathy Collection. I want to know which doll she is and how much she is worth?

Answers

Just to clarify, the back says Cathay vs. Cathy. This will help you if you want to continue to research her.

The Cathay dolls are sadly one of the brands that have not held their value. I can't find an exact match to the look on any of the website I frequent to find current market values. There are a ton of "similars" but no exact. The similars are sitting unsold on every website I have checked. There are just to many out there.

If you find an exact match that sells (SOLD PRICE) that will give you today's current market value. I can tell you that generally this brand will sit on any website for months, if not years in the $5-10 range and not sell (these are ones that are in the original box and never opened. If the dolls don't have the box, they sell for even less.

I wish I had better news for you. I find it so sad. I always tell people the best thing for most of the dolls made in the 70s-90s i to find a loving child who will adore it!! That is the best value!

Blessings!

This is a Cathay doll. These dolls are mass-produced and usually worth much less than the original buyer paid for them. You can get them for $10-$25 on eBay.

Answer this Question

I am trying to find out this doll's year of manufacture and name. She's number one of 5000 out of the Cathay collection.

Answers

These are mass-produced dolls. Yours is one of 5000. It is worth $25 or less.

Answer this Question
Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsApril 17, 2019
🌻
🍀
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Cathay-Collection-Porcelain-Dolls.html