Identifying Cathay Collection Porcelain Dolls

Category Dolls
Many beautiful collectible porcelain dolls were sold in a variety of different styles as gifts or home decor. This is a guide about identifying a Cathay Collection porcelain doll.

I have a 42" Cathay Collection porcelain doll. How can I identify this doll? I do not see a tag or certificate in the box. Are there any markings or stamped info on the doll itself? I have searched hundreds of images on the internet.
Thanks :)

Answers

Best Answer

Interesting and quite lovely. I never knew Cathay to make a 42 inch doll, but the stores I sold these in did not always have floor space for big dolls, so i am much more familiar with the smaller dolls.

Cathay did not "name" all of their dolls, so I am not sure if your girley ever had a formal name. That she doesn't have a number somewhere (under her hair or on her tush or feet) is unusual, but I have seen some without a name.

It all looks authentic so I don't think anyone did the old switcheroo, that we used to see all the time in some of the stores I worked in, where people would try to put an expensive doll in the cheap doll box hoping that the check out gal would be clueless and they would get a bargain.

I have not tried this company yet and it is hard to tell if it is the original Cathay or someone using the name...but you could see if this company can help you figure out exactly who you have:

cathaydoll.com/

If you are tying to sell her down the road and she was supposed to come with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and yours doesn't, that will devalue her some.

I hope she is one of the few tall dolls that still has value.

Sadly most tall dolls lately are fetching a whopping 0 dollars on most sites. They are too big and since that lady started her Netflix show about downsizing and does it "spark joy", people have been glutting the market with every size and shape of doll imaginable because they no longer spark the joy that the cold hard cash they spent for them would give them This has driven the already saturated doll market (for sale) SKY HIGH and the prices are WAY, WAY, WAY LOW.

Sad.

Post back if the company link I have you offered any help. I am so curious about this one.

Blessings.

I have a 16 inch Cathay Collection cowboy doll brand new in the box. The item no. Is 16871. I can't find anything except a possible name for it which is Paul, but I can't find more than 1 online.
Please help here is the photo of the doll I found online compared to mine.

Answers

Best Answer

Does this look like yours: www.ebay.com/.../352327906204?hash=item520861339c...

It was a completed auction that sold on eBay for 9.99 plus shipping.

There were two UNSOLD for 17 and some change: www.ebay.com/.../192552084550

I don't see a name, just they call her a cowgirl.

They made a variety of cow boy and girl dolls...the most popular ones I saw have long brown curly hair.

Hope this helps!

I was wondering if anyone had any information about this doll. I don't see any numbers on her and the box doesn't say much. She's a Cathay doll, but I can't seem to find much about her. Any ideas?

Answers

You can try uploading a picture here: cathaydoll.com/

I think you have a Royal Cathay Collection doll (is she 15 inches tall)?

If so, then if memory serves me correctly, this lovely gal is named "Winifred".

Like most of the dolls sold from the 1970s to early 2000s (I have lost track of her year) she was a doll that was touted as a "Limited Edition" but that meant HIGH THOUSANDS of dolls. Sadly today, that has driven the value down significantly. A true limited edition should be 100 or less or ideally 50 or less.

I see people ASKING (at various auction and doll sites) in the 20 range for her. I have yet to see one SOLD at that or any price--so sad. Value = sold price.

She is lovely! These were quite popular when they were new as they were unusual. Flapper style almost. Unlike most of the little girl, dolly style dolls, she was a grown up and elegant. I loved these gals!!

Post back if you sell her and where you are located. I would love to know what they are worth (what someone pays for her).

Thanks for sharing her!! Brought back nice memories!

She is approximately 16.5 inches tall; she is from the Cathy Collection. I want to know which doll she is and how much she is worth?

Answers

Just to clarify, the back says Cathay vs. Cathy. This will help you if you want to continue to research her.

The Cathay dolls are sadly one of the brands that have not held their value. I can't find an exact match to the look on any of the website I frequent to find current market values. There are a ton of "similars" but no exact. The similars are sitting unsold on every website I have checked. There are just to many out there.

If you find an exact match that sells (SOLD PRICE) that will give you today's current market value. I can tell you that generally this brand will sit on any website for months, if not years in the $5-10 range and not sell (these are ones that are in the original box and never opened. If the dolls don't have the box, they sell for even less.

I wish I had better news for you. I find it so sad. I always tell people the best thing for most of the dolls made in the 70s-90s i to find a loving child who will adore it!! That is the best value!

Blessings!

This is a Cathay doll. These dolls are mass-produced and usually worth much less than the original buyer paid for them. You can get them for $10-$25 on eBay.