Use Cardboard Tubes as a Window Brace

My old windows are not in the budget for replacement as of yet, so sometimes when I want to open them, they slide down and will not stay up. To solve this problem, I brace the window up with a cardboard tube from wrapping paper, which I can cut to any size to fit in between the bottom of the window and the space behind the sill. These hold the windows open very nicely and can be replaced when they wear out for "free". If you place them at the side of the window, the tube will be out of sight.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I believe you can purchase from a hardware store, small metal clamps that can be attached to windows that will hold them up. They are fairly inexpensive around $5 and can save a trip to the hospital if the tube is accidentally knocked over and the window comes down on someone.

Have you considered using decorative shelf brackets to hold up your windows? Saw this in a magazine and it looked great! Was functional and very decorative. Until I read the caption on the picture, just thought it was a decorating tip! Didnt realize it was holding the window open. Wish I'd seen that when I had old windows. You just sit the brackets in the bottom corners of the window on the sill with the flat sides of the brackets against the outside edge of the window and along the sill.