Browsing: Removing Ink from Leather

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

How do I remove black ball point pen from a leather car seat?

Thank you.

By Charlene from Columbus, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I would like to know how to remove ink from leather upholstrey. My friends daughter has drawn all over the backseat of her vehicle (smiley faces, etc...) with an ink pen. Thanking you in advance.

Debbie

Use WD-40 it will take it right out

WD-40 works good.

I just had this problem ten minutes ago, hairspray worked, rubbing alcohol and wd40 did not. Acetone is suppost to do the trick.

Acetone ruined my leather took the color right out!!!

Fantastic thanks - tried the hairspray, pen came off with ease

You should not use acetone on leather. Acetone is a solvent & will remove color, why do you think they add it to fingernail polish remover!!

February 12, 2012 Flag

A used printer ink cartage leaked through a plastic bag, it was stored in, onto the leather car seat. I have not touched the spot yet. It is the size of a quarter. It is on my front gray leather seat.

By Donna W

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is dye-type ink, soap and water should remove the stain. If the soap and water doesn't work, it is pigment ink and you will have a spot. A mixture of Mr. Clean and bleach may remove it, but may also damage the leather. An attractive seat cover of some sort may be your only option - doesn't have to look like a seat cover. I saw an MB with ruffled, lacy head rest and seat back covers - dark gray car, gray leather - very attractive.

Try hair spray, if not try a permanent marker the same colour as your leather go over it with marker.

January 4, 2010 Flag

I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy and the seats are a beige leather, they have some dark blue ink pen on them from my 3 year old. The car is my sister's and is fairly new to them and I am in desperate need of advice. I tried a little soap and water and then I tried a little rubbing alcohol, but it is not looking good for me. Help.

Crystal

Answers:

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

I have had success using methylated spirits and a cloth on most surfaces, just not sure how it would go on a large area. Can it be tested in a less obvious area? (03/04/2005)

By AussieLuci

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

Have you tried hairspray or isopropyl alcohol? Both have worked very well for me in the past. (03/05/2005)

By Dana

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

Anti-bacterial hand gel works very well on ink stains. I've used it with great success on all kinds of stains including permanent marker. It works great without harming any surface I've used it on. (03/05/2005)

By jeangnome46

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

If the ink is not a marker, spray hair spray on an area that won't show first to be sure it won't ruin your upholstry. The cheaper the better. Dab with hot water and soap after a few minutes of sitting untouched. You may need to do this several times to remove all of the ink. Markers will come out with a product from a janitorial supply company designed for the project. Each store caries different products.
Happy ink be gone. (03/07/2005)

By Julie

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

Aftershave works well. Personally, I used a generic brand with great success, and I've heard Adida's brand works well also. It got the black permanent marker off of our leather couch. (04/17/2005)

By Greg

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

Aftershave, may work on a glazed finish leather, but not on a porous leather. Also, it can remove the colour if not applied carefully.

Leather is expensive and needs a professional kit when it comes to ink removal. Try this one: furnitureclinic.co.uk (09/24/2005)

By ben123

Ink on Creme colored Leather Sofa

We tried almost every household product we could find. Do not use nail polish remover though. It takes out the stain, but takes out the dye with it. We actually ended up having great success with Cutter's Insect Repellent. We sprayed it on and left it there for about 2 seconds and then wiped it off immediately. Do not spray and wait. It will lighten the leather slightly, but if you spray and wipe off after 2 seconds you should be fine. (02/29/2008)

By Jennifer

Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

I just tried antibacterial gel on my car armrest and it didn't do much. I then tried the hairspray and it worked, but be very careful and leave it on for two seconds then blot off clean area with the antibacterial gel. I did not try removing the whole thing it is very faint. I just did not want to risk the hairspray damaging the leather. (03/26/2008)

By e

An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoJanuary 4, 2010
Car Upholstery
Removing Ink on Car Upholstery
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Leather
Leather Car Upholstery Cleaner Recipes
Leather Car Upholstery Cleaner Recipes
Old leather sofa
Repairing a Cut in Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:34:16 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.