Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Refrigerator Fan Blowing Bad Smell

I have a Kitchen Aid Fridge (side by side) and the fan below is blowing a funky smell. In addition to that I don't know how to empty the drip pan. No one in the house seems to smell this except for me and I about ready to move out.

Debora from Mpls

By

By Cyinda [214]07/24/2008

Use care when cleaning behind & under this fridge & make sure your family listens to your warning as it could be a toxic mold (wear a mask & gloves)... Also, legionnaire disease can grow in wet conditions such as these... I'm sorry that I can't tell you how to clean the drip pan... But obviously it needs to be done... It could also be an animal (such as a mouse) that could have crawled under or behind tour fridge & died. This happened to us one time. If you only need to clean the coils in the back I've heard you can use a shop-vac...

Wish I could be of more help,
GOOD LUCK!

By wwgrammy (Guest Post)07/24/2008

Had that happen once. It ended up being a dead baby mouse by the fan in back of fridge. I was the first to notice until 2 days later then all the family noticed the horrid odor!

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]07/24/2008

First unplug the refrigerator. There is a small grill in the front of your refrigerator and you'll will find it along the bottom. Open the grill and look for the drip pan, remove and clean it out.

Also while you are at it, remove the cover at the back of the unit and give it a good vacuuming. By keeping your refrigerator dust-free your motor won't burn out.