Change Smoke Alarm Batteries When You Change Your Clocks

Remember that most areas of the US set their clocks back one hour this weekend (officially I believe at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning). Spring forward and fall back.

The twice a year time change is also a great time to change out your smoke alarm batteries, and if needed, your smoke alarms.

Most smoke alarms are only recommended to be used for not more than 10 years. After that, they become clogged with dust and the sensors fail.

If you are unable to change your own out, call your local American Red Cross or fire department. Many will provide and install new ones at no charge. Even if they don't provide them, if you purchase them they will send someone over to help you install them at no charge.

Smoke alarms can be purchased for as little as $4.50 at home stores. Saving the life of your family is worth much more than that.

Do not install alarms in areas where they are easily tripped, such as over the fireplace or kitchen stove. When installed there, people tend to disconnect them for sounding off falsely and you have then defeated their purpose.

Install them in the center of the room, away from ceiling fans. Ideally one should be in each bedroom, living and dining rooms, basement rooms and hallways. If you can, also install in the kitchen away from stoves or grease sources (like the fry daddy on the counter).

Source: I am a firefighter and help with public education programs

By mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri

Thanks, now I know whom to ask for help changing the battery in our smoke alarm! Neither hubby nor I am very mobile.

I'm a property manager in Miami. I had a number of fire extinguishers installed by Premier Fire Alarms at the condo that I manage. They were very professional, cleaned up after the installation and also handle the servicing/maintenance. I would recommend them to anyone. Check out their website or call (954) 797-7692.

Man Servicing Smoke Alarm
Maintaining Your Smoke Alarm
Better Living Safety HomeNovember 8, 2010
Recycling Car Batteries, old battery
Recycling Car Batteries
Swiffer Wet Jet
Changing the Batteries on a Swiffer Wet Jet
Clock Repair
Repairing Clocks
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System