Once a week after vacuuming the furniture, I take my favorite dryer sheets and rub one vigorously all over each piece of furniture. I also stick one dryer sheet in the bottom of each of the dogs crates to help keep their beds from smelling bad until I do the weekly wash.
By Judy from Old Town, FL
Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.
Oh dear. dryer sheets are full of toxic chemicals. I wouldn't recommend this at all!! Sorry! : (
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
I keep my used dryer sheets in a tissue box, and when my dogs come in from being outside (especially from the rain) I wipe them down with a dryer sheet. It still has some fragrance and removes loose hair. They smell better and it helps with shedding. It also helps dry them off if it has been raining. Just another way to reuse and recycle!
By cdc343 from Cleveland, TN
I won't let my gardener use chemicals around the yard or garden because of her. I avoid all chemicals, such as the insecticides for fleas (which she doesn't have anyway). So I would be hesitant to use them on her fur because of her licking. They do make great dust clothes, though, after they've been used in the dryer. I will check my filter to see if there is any sign of clogging as I have used them in the dryer for years. (11/15/2009)
Beyond those warnings about them, in our own experience around here: I stopped using my dryer ( and dryer sheets) six months ago in what began as an experiment to see just how low I could pare my electric bill.
We found that line-drying cut the power bill by $60 a month, and that one of us who always seemed to have some kind of skin irritation, well, that ended.
I chalk that up to replacing dryer sheets/liquid softener with 1/4 cup of baking soda in the wash and hanging clothes naturally to dry.
That said, I wouldn't ever use them again on us or the dog. Even just setting the possibility of chemical damage aside, however small that may or may not be, the junk that I'd normally see left behind in the lint trap also translates to me as being left behind on the dog's fur, synthetic residue on that has a good chance of interfering with the natural protection of the dog's coat.
Just a thought. (06/09/2010)
I realize that's a different issue, but if you're only using these on your dog only once in awhile it's probably okay. It's certainly less toxic than many who use chemical flea treatments and tear stain treatments on their dogs. (10/28/2010)
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.