Warning About Dryer Sheets And Pets

contest winner icon

There have been several posts lately involving the use of dryer sheets around pets - either wiping the pet or their bedding with dryer sheets. I posted feedback to one, but this keeps coming up, so I am submitting my two-cents as a tip.

This is a very dangerous idea, because dryer sheets contain poisonous, even carcinogenic, chemicals. Pets lick themselves and sometimes their surroundings, so you don't want to use anything that can leave behind chemicals that they can ingest.

Dryer sheets contain loads of toxic chemicals, such as benzyl acetate, benzyl alcohol, and chloroform, among others, some of which the manufacturers don't have to reveal to the public. Some of these chemicals cause the softening and others are used to perfume the sheets to give them their "lovely" aromas.

Many of these chemicals are in other consumer products like dish and laundry detergents, soaps, air fresheners (especially deadly), shampoos, deodorants, creams, etc. There is a false assumption by the FDA and other regulatory agencies that these chemicals are safe and are not absorbed through the skin. However, this wrong, as these chemicals can be found in the blood of nearly every citizen. This is how nicotine patches work - by absorption through the skin. If nicotine is absorbed through the skin, you can bet these other chemicals are too. You are exposed to them because your clothes are covered with these chemicals from the laundry detergent and fabric softeners (liquid or sheets), and you are absorbing them all through your skin. Add to this the chemicals from all the other products mentioned above. We have been exposing ourselves to a lot of dangerous stuff over the years, folks.

These chemicals cause liver damage, hormone disruption, nervous system problems, cancer and other serious or chronic health problems. Humans should not expose themselves to these toxins, let alone their pets or children, who are prone to licking everything or putting things in their mouths, an even more direct and more toxic method of exposure than through the skin.

There are safer, more natural alternatives to these products. Please, please do not wipe your pets, their bedding, or anything else, with dryer sheets. Don't let your children suck on their chemically fabric softened "blankies".

Here is a link to just one article about dryer sheet chemicals; there are many more - just Google the words "dryer sheet toxic" in any order. Also check out articles on the chemicals in air fresheners - they're pretty scary.

Source: Natural News, and many other sites, for podcasts I wrote last year.

By Pixiedust7 from Wantagh, Long Island, NY

Thanks, Pixiedust even common sense will tell you that those sheets have chemicals in them and "chemical" is ever good for much.

Well said Pixiedust, I have been harping on this subject for years. Regulatory agencies say the amount in the container is safe yes, but consider that you've been using it over and over for many years, it adds up. Almost everything in our homes, from cleaning products to cushion floor contains toxins. Could it be that is why there seems to be such an epidemic of cancer these days. Cut back wherever you can folks, the chemical companies are among the richest in the world, and this generation suffers more disease and allergies than ever before.

Thank you for posting what I have been thinking. I would never use a dryer sheet on one of my precious pets. We as pet owners have to take responsibility for those who cannot help themselves and need to educate ourselves and others about what can harm them. God Bless. Connie

You are so right! I don't use fabric softener or sheets, instead I use vinegar in rinsing wash and for many other uses as well. It takes the soap residue from laundry and softens even better than softener, leaves no odor.

Thank you for saying that so well. I think the same thing everytime I read one of those posts but could not have said it nearly as well.

Thank you all for having the same concern that I have about dryer sheet chemicals and especially the usage of chemical on our furbabies. It is so sad how many dogs I have known have passed away from cancer. We need to simplify: buy organic produce, use plain vinegar and water for cleaning, buy organic sheets, towels and bedding. It is getting easier to find organic cotton products.

Please encouarge your friends and neighbors to stop using dryer sheets. It really stinks up a neighborhood and ruins your clean air.

I don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheets anymore. I put baking soda in with wash and vinegar in rinse. With the microfiber now I don' t want to ruin them. So now with my dryer sheets I put them in our vehicles, 5th wheels, whatever. Put them where electrical, under seats, trunks, it works.

Pets HealthNovember 16, 2010
foil ball
Alternatives To Dryer Sheets
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Cutting dryer sheets in half.
Saving Money on Dryer Sheets
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?