Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

I thought I was picking a very creamy yellow paint for my office. I went out and while I was gone my husband painted the room. It is glowing yellow, how can I calm it down? Also, one of the areas goes down stairs to our basement so the back wall is really high. The husband doesn't want to repaint, but I can't live with this.
Thanks for any help.

By Carol from Whiting, NJ

Best Answer

How about doing a sponge technique or a glaze on top of it with a paler or complementary color? Do some research on the web, or ask at Home Depot or Lowe's paint departments. Good luck!

Best Answer

There are rollers which are made of sponges. This is a much quicker way than sponging by hand, and the pattern is better. This covers quickly and uses less paint too. Go to the paint store and get swatches to see what looks best with your color. Is there an area that you don't normally see, like behind a chair? You could try a small area there to see if you like it. Also these sponge rollers are a great way to freshen the look of a room. If the main paint is a flat finish try a semi gloss paint in a shade close to it. I did this to a boring beige hall, used an off white semigloss for the sponge painting. Depending on the time of day the color would change slightly. Good luck to you!

If your husband doesn't want to repaint, why not try doing it yourself. Go to sites like www.diynetwork.com, or even search on you tube to get tips on painting. For the wall that is really high, they sell paint rollers with extensions on the handle. Good luck!

I like the glaze idea, but test it on a small section first, perhaps an area that will be covered by a sofa or something. Otherwise, prime and paint.

Living room with Bright Purple painted walls
Toning Down a Bright Paint Color
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceDecember 21, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Dyed Hair
Toning Down Dyed Hair
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
🎉
🎄