Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

That excellent color you chose from a paint chip can often times be too bright when covering your walls. This is a guide about toning down a bright paint color.

I thought I was picking a very creamy yellow paint for my office. I went out and while I was gone my husband painted the room. It is glowing yellow, how can I calm it down? Also, one of the areas goes down stairs to our basement so the back wall is really high. The husband doesn't want to repaint, but I can't live with this.
Thanks for any help.

By Carol Smith from Whiting, NJ

Best Answer

How about doing a sponge technique or a glaze on top of it with a paler or complementary color? Do some research on the web, or ask at Home Depot or Lowe's paint departments. Good luck!

Best Answer

There are rollers which are made of sponges. This is a much quicker way than sponging by hand, and the pattern is better. This covers quickly and uses less paint too. Go to the paint store and get swatches to see what looks best with your color. Is there an area that you don't normally see, like behind a chair?

You could try a small area there to see if you like it. Also these sponge rollers are a great way to freshen the look of a room. If the main paint is a flat finish try a semi gloss paint in a shade close to it. I did this to a boring beige hall, used an off white semigloss for the sponge painting. Depending on the time of day the color would change slightly. Good luck to you!

How do you correct a paint color that's too bright? I painted my kitchen a yellow that now looks shockingly bright. I would like a more mellow yellow. Can I paint over it with a real pale yellow color and hopefully get a more desirable shade?

Karen from Elkhorn, WI

Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

You could paint over it with a pale yellow. That may get it toned down a little. My mom painted her kitchen orange, and then thought it was too bright. I suggested that we paint over it by sponging white, but letting the orange show through. She loved it. You could try that. (12/06/2006)

Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

If you don't want to do the ragging effect, you could mix some glaze with a lighter color and roll over your paint. A tip my brother taught me was to pick the color you like from the samples, then go one shade lighter. His favorite color is brown, so I ignored him. I only did that once. (12/07/2006)

By Liz Orr

Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

Try masking squares (they could be uniform or irregular) and painting the alternative ones in varying shades of the same color. You will be quite surprised how good it looks. In one of the squares you could use blackboard paint and then you would have an instant notice board that can be used again and again. (12/08/2006)

By s hatting