Looking for Advice on Sheets

I am trying to find out which would be the softer: A sheet set of 300 thread count Pima cotton blend which is a mix of 50% cotton and 50% polyester or a set of 250 or 275 thread count of Egyptian cotton. I am confused on which would be the softer of the two or what the actual differences are between the choices?

Corey from TN

Don't know for sure which is actually softer BUT The Egyptian 100% cotton will need ironing. The Cotton blend will look better just straight out of the dryer. The Egyptian cotton gets softer the more its washed if you want to iron your sheets.

I would go to JC Penny and look at their sheets. They have a pillow case hung up on the shelf of each of their sheets sold so you can actually feel it. You should be able to compare them right there! Other stores might do this too.

I'm a sheet fanatic . . . and very particular about my sheets, especially because my skin is so sensitive. FYI - ANYTHING with polyester in it does not add to the 'softness' of a sheet - if anything, it makes sheets rougher (scratches my skin)

Of course, the higher the thread count - the softer the sheet (and longer lasting). I personally prefer a 'crisp' sheet - which is usually about a 275 thread count. I'm not a sateen fan (feels a little to 'slick' for my taste).

Also, there is a BIG difference between PIMA cotton and EGYPTIAN cotton. PIMA, though popular is slightly rougher than EGYPTION (which I prefer).

Don't know if this helps.

The best 'crisp' sheets out there that I've found are either Ralph Lauren Home, 275 TC or for less $ Wamsutta 275 TC - Classic Point Weave are beautiful sheets

If you want to go the high thread count route (with or without Egyptian cotton), you should check out the sheet outlet stores. I have found really great clearance prices at Springmaid Wamsutta outlets...like $59 for a queen size complete set of 400 thread count all cotton sheets

and a queen set of 500 thread count Egyptian cotton for $79 !

I am a supervisor in a high fashioned bedding store in Canada. One clarification I must make is the higher the thread count on cotton sheets and particularly Eygption Cotton Sateen's, does NOT make it more durable. Actually, quite the opposite. The cotton threads are spun and weaved differently for higher thread count sheets lessening their durability. If laundered quite often, they will not last as long as a lower thread count cotton sheets ie: 300 or 310 TC.

Following are the points to refer:

1) 300 TC - 50% Pima + 50% Polyester -> will have more softer feel cum hand feel than the regular 250 or 275 TC Egp cotton sheets.In former sheet you will get good hand feel cum better durability after wash.

2) Pima cotton delivers good hand feel, shine to sheet set & polyester delivers better durability cum easy care property.

I think this may suffice your request.

Surenthar Kumar

Sr.Merchandiser - Home textiles

surenthar_kumar AT rediffmail.com, surentharkumar AT yahoo.com

We like flannel sheets for cold weather from Dollar store. I get what's on sale for hot weather, good luck.

Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
Keeping Sheets on the Bed
Keeping Sheets on the Bed
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets