Share Crafts

Using HE Detergent in a Top Load Washer

When using detergents made for the high efficiency washing machines, can you use the same detergent and the same amount in a top-loading machine?

By Susan

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By mcw 80 1,753 07/15/2010

I don't know any thing about HE Detergent. But I've noticed that many brands of liquid laundry detergents are double concentrated. This is also true of the brands found in the dollar stores. I always determine the amount I will use in each wash load using this formula. Load the dirty clothes into the washer then select the water temperature. As soon as the washer starts agitating, I slowly pour in the detergent and can tell by looking at the amount of suds, then I add 1 scoop of generic oxi-clean. Never pour in the recommended amount on the container, you will end up with too many suds, and you will have to put your clothes through numerous rinses which is a waste of time and water. This can only be done with top-loading washing machines.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Michele 18 64 07/18/2010

HE detergent doesn't get as sudsy as regular detergent. The reason is because the water amount used is less in an HE and can't wash away all the bubbles, eventually it will form a build up in the machine. You can use HE detergent in a regular washer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No