Merlin (Maine Coon Mix)

contest winner icon

Merlin is 5 years old. We believe that he must be at least part Maine Coon because he is the largest cat that I have ever seen. I have also heard that they are very calm and sweet and laid back. That sure fits my Merlin.

He has white cottony fur with one gray spot on the back of his head that looks like an angel with her wings spread. He has one blue eye and one green eye. That is why we named him Merlin.

One hot August afternoon, I was working in my front yard. I saw a white cat lying in the grass by the street. I didn't think much of it, but the cat was still there when I finished my work. Afraid that the cat might be injured, I walked near. The cat didn't run away, so I called to it and it ran to me.

The poor little kitten was so dirty that I didn't realize that he was all white. He was infested with fleas and so thin that you could see every bone in his body. I was afraid to take him in with my other cats, not knowing if he had some disease. But I fed him and put him in a crate until morning, then I took him to my vet. The vet sprayed his fleas and pronounced him healthy, but almost dead from starvation.

We kept him in a room away from our other pets for a week. I fed him night and morning and my son fed him a meal while I was at work. He would eat, drink water, and use his litter box and then fall asleep on our chests. My son was worried that he wouldn't play like a kitten should. But he was just starving and exhausted. No telling what he had gone through. When I bathed him, I found that he was solid white except for one gray spot on the back of his head. The rest of the gray was road dirt.

After a week of rest, he was ready to play and join the household. And then he began to grow and grow and GROW! Merlin likes to sit in the window and watch the world (and the birds) go by. He is always watching when I leave for work and when I come home. Merlin plays gently with my 2 other cats. He knows that he is much larger than they are. And they love to groom him for some reason.

He also enjoys teasing the dogs and making them chase him. Then he will get under a table and just stop! The dogs never do catch on, they play his game anytime that he wants them to. But mostly Merlin likes to cuddle and purr. He is the sweetest cat that I have ever had. He loves and is loved by every member of the family, including my Chihuahuas that he loves to tease. They are often seen sleeping in a cuddling mass of cat and dog.

We don't know where he came from nor how he found his way to my house. It seemed that he had a long and difficult journey. But when he arrived, he was home. He is the sweetest, most loving cat that I have. And with his size that is a very good thing. If he was ever in a bad mood, he could really do some damage! He never is tho, he is very even tempered.

By Janus

He looks and sounds like such a sweetie. Thank heavens you rescued him, and that he has a loving home now. :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

What a sweet lovely story and outcome and I love that Merlin also has two different colored eyes and a Charlie Chaplin type mustache! ;-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

When some cats are lost or need to find a home they seems to know just where to find the right one. I guess it must be ESP.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Hi, What a wonderful thing you did by taking this little homeless kitten in and taking care of him. God bless you for that. You are a true animal over and it is a shame there are not more people like you in this world. Blessings.....Connie

Reply Like this photo? Yes

A story that should be in a magazine of some sort as it might encourage other people to think twice before turning their backs on animals who would enrich their lives so much. You are already blessed to have that much kindness in you, and you deserve the angel Merlin to watch over you and love you back.

Thank you for sharing him and your story with us.

StarWarsCollector

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a sweet & special story, thank you for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a beauty! I got my Maine Coon much the same way!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Everyone else has already said the important stuff, so I'll just say thank you for sharing Merlin and your great story about how you came to have him in your life. It sounds like he chose you. What a wonderful blessing for all of your family.

So Thank You and my Thumbs UP.

Lee

Reply Like this photo? Yes