Make Frozen Pesto from Home Grown Basil

Use as much of the harvest from your garden as you can, freeze, can, and dry. My basil went crazy this year! I made 10 cups of pesto and still had some left to dry. Pesto can be added to just about any dinner. I freeze portions in a 1 cup plastic container then remove and vacuum seal. When ready to use one, take it out of the bag (which I save and wash) and put it back in the 1 cup bowl to put in the refrigerator It only takes about a 1/2 hour to fully thaw a cup or just cut some off and throw it in your hot pasta dish.

By melmarr from MI

Top Comment

I'm sorry, I never saw this reply till now.

I use a cup or 2 of basil leaves (meaning smashed into a cup). About 1/2 - 1 cup of sliced almonds (I don't like pine nuts), and lots of garlic (probably about 5 cloves). I put all that in the food processor till well chopped. I then add some Extra virgin Olive Oil till it's moist, not soggy. Then taste it, I add more of any ingredient to my taste. Keeps in the frig. for several weeks.

Top Comment

Here's another picture:

Would you mind sharing your pesto recipe, my basil went bonkers this year also. I love it in tomato bisque. Thanks.

Frozen pesto made form home grown basil.
Make Frozen Pesto from Home Grown Basil
Food and Recipes Freezing HerbsOctober 27, 2010
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Pesto Pizza Recipes
Pesto Pizza Recipes
Pesto sauce in a white bowl.
Homemade Pesto Recipes
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 6:04:58 PM on 10.0.1.203 in 641 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.