BedsFurniture

New Mattress Substitute

I have a sagging mattress and don't have the funds to replace it yet. I've stuffed towels underneath to help give it a boost. But, I was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions to add a little more life to it.

By Rachelc from Fort Defiance, AZ

Anonymous

Some people who have bad backs and want a firmer bed put plywood under the mattress.

You could also put eggcrate foam mattress over it.

I have heard of people putting an air mattress on top of a mattress for me. I know for myself, that would be too high for me to get into, but for some people it might work. I imagine a person could get rid of the old mattress, keep the box spring, and put an air mattress on top of the box spring. Also if you have something like freecycle there, try posting on that for a free mattress in whatever size you need.

Plywood helps, has to be 1/2 inch thick or better. You could get a mattress topper, mine was Walmart for $150 and it's that viscoelastic stuff like TempurPedic. Rotate the mattress and flip it over so you're using the best part of the mattress. Tape all around the edges of the plywood to keep edges smooth.

PS I got my mattress at a thrift shop, with new batting and cover, nothing old but the metal. Whole thing was $25, look around and see what they have.

Air mattresses can be very comfortable. Much more so than a bad mattress! I would definitely look into that.

I desperately needed a new mattress and could not afford one. I had a piece of 1/2 inch plywood (not press board) cut to the exact size of my mattress and placed it in between the mattress and box spring. My mattress was almost as good as new and only cost $15.00 for the plywood.

By P. TORPEY

Answers:

New Mattress Substitute

We have a double bed and use an old ping pong table top under ours. (01/04/2005)

By calnorth

New Mattress Substitute

We needed a new mattress set, checked out prices ranging around $1000 and I about fainted. We kept the old set and topped with a memory foam, just like new! Now we can actually get a good night's sleep for under $100. (08/20/2006)

By Hey! It's me again...