ArtCollectibles

Protecting Old Art Prints

We have some large old prints that I want to be able to preserve but also put them in our garage. I don't want them in my home. LOL! They are my husband's grandfather's. Any ideas of what I can do?

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

Are these prints of value? Sentimental or monetary? If so, I would go to an art supply store (not a chain; an actual artist supply store) and ask them how they would store them. They likely have certain paper or envelopes that are used for storing these items. If they are not particularly valuable, I would simply put white drawing paper between them -- large sheets, and put them in large plastic bags.

We have two printed pictures that are about 50 years old. They were my husband's grandfather's. I don't care for them, however, I'll never get rid of them : ) My husband loves them and we are trying to find a place to hang them. Is there a way to preserve them so we can hang them in the garage?

We live in central Oregon (non rainy side) and it gets hot, cold, and little humidity. Any sites to look this info up at? I found a lot of suggestions, but most didn't seem plausible. Thank you.

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

Mindy: I don't know how to preserve the photos, but I do know how to minimize the humidity. You can go to any Dollar Tree and find what is known as DampRid. It's crystals that collect the moisture in the air and converts it into a liquid chemical that is sealed in the bottom. The photo I am sharing is not from the DT but you can get this stuff anywhere that sells home improvement, it will just cost you more.

Another idea is to take a close up photo of it, donate it to somewhere that would be able to keep it dry. Then print out an 8by10 shot of it, frame it and keep it in the house.

I have done that with an over sized portrait I did and still have the art without the size.

I hope that helps.

I'd make a copy of them and hang the copies in the garage. That way, the humidity won't ruin the originals.

Thank you for the ideas. I never thought of making a copy of the print (both are very large) or a photo. My main concern is the pictures drying out - where we live moisture isn't the problem, it's the lack of it. But I think the first two posts have solved the issue. Thank you