Store Extra Watermelon Uncut

My kids and I love watermelon but when I would purchase a whole one and cut it up to store in the fridge it would go bad before we could eat even half of it. A friend told me to only cut what we are going to eat that day and leave the rest of the melon intact in the refrigerator. It really works. I have about a quarter of a watermelon in my fridge that is about a week old and is as fresh as if it had just been cut into.

By Martha from Metairie, LA

Please tell me how/what you wrap your watermelon in. Thanks.

You can also freeze it. Cut into chunks and remove the seeds. Freeze chunks separately on cookie sheet. Remove when frozen and put into freezer proof bag. Eat while frozen. You can do this with most summer fruits.

If you have leftover cut up watermelon be sure to keep the juice drained out of the bottom of the container. This also keeps it fresh longer.

I just put a piece of plasic wrap across the cut edge.

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitAugust 20, 2008
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
Watermelon Salsa
Watermelon Salsa Recipes
Spiked Watermelon Lemonade
Spiked Watermelon Lemonade Recipes
Watermelon Sorbet
Watermelon Sorbet Recipes