Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

How do I restore an old fiberglass tub? What materials do I use and how do I get rid of old soap stains?

By Kris1 from Tega Cay, SC

Check into the following product; it's solid white and a little labor extensive with sanding, but it brushes on and covers in 2 coats at the price of around $40 at Lowe's. We just did our tub. You can mix color in it if it's too white for you.

"Homax tub & Tile Brush on Epoxy finish"

http://www.homaxproducts.com/products/kitchenbath/05/index.html

This website offers cheaper and less extensive solutions to cleaning the fiberglass surfaces:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4828934_sta ... berglass-bathtubs-shower-stalls.html

May 23, 2010 Flag

How do you refurbish an old (1970s) fiberglass tub? It has been refurbished already and is peeling, cracking, and discolored.

By tinaschraier from Orange, CA

Answers:

Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

Maybe it is time to replace it or try Bathfitters. They put a new plastic tub over the old one. A friend of mine did that and it looked pretty good. (04/14/2009)

By foxrun41

Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

Have you tried paint that is sold for fiberglass boat bottoms? I cannot recall the brand (maybe Interlux?), but about 10 years ago I used this on a bathroom sink and never had any issues with it. I know that I purchased mine at a chain hardware store (Menard's) and it was around $60, but it was hundreds cheaper than replacing the sink unit and it can be purchased in white or in multiple tints.

I hope that this helps! (04/17/2009)

By patty0747

Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

Probably in a hardware or home improvement store, you can find Rustoleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit. It can be used on ceramic, porcelain, or fiberglass tubs or walls and one kit is enough to give a tub 2-3 coats. Don't know how much wall area you're talking about, but maybe this can give you a starting point to try to figure how much you'd need. (06/05/2009)

By PupperMom

April 14, 2009 Flag

I have a fiberglass tub and the floor of it is stained from being old. What is the best thing I can do to make it newer looking?

Marcia from Glade Park, CO

Answers:

Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

Once a fiberglass tub gets stained the best course of action is to have it re glazed. You can find people that do this in the yellow pages under bathroom/baths. (10/23/2006)

By dean

Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

See if there is a Re-Bath in your area. I've been seeing ads here locally where I live where they say they can remove and replace one-piece fiberglass units, and was thinking of checking into it myself. http://rebath.com/ (10/24/2006)

By mef1957

Refurbishing a Fiberglass Tub

I just called Re-Bath because of my stained tub. It was $3550.00 for a new tub liner (smallest size) and acrylic wall sections. It is cheaper to buy a new tub and have a plumber install, even after replacing tile. (11/13/2007)

By Claire

Bathtub
Refinishing a Bathtub
Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomMay 23, 2010
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
🎉
🎄