Homemade Swamp Coolers for Hot Days

Remember in a heat wave - water evaporating has a cooling effect. Like the old days, I put small bowls of water/ice cubes in front of my fans to get some cooling. Put some water in my bathtub or take a tepid bath and then go around with wet hair until it dries itself.

I have a little "swamp cooler" for my neck that works on an evaporative principle - but you can get the same effect with a wet kerchief around your neck (They make special ones with water-retaining crystals, my brother has one.) When the mercury soars every little bit helps!

By Pam from Los Angeles

What do you mean by a "swamp cooler"? Do you mean some kind of a little fan on a cord? Or just a bandanna? Sounds interesting.

Don't do this if you are running an A/C, after all, 85% of the work your A/C does is removing the moisture from the air. The more moisture in the air the higher your electricity bill

A thermometer on the side of a house reading 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Keeping Your House Cool Without AC
Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingJuly 31, 2006
Swamp Cooler
Swamp Cooler Maintenance Tips
Styrofoam Cooler
Uses for Styrofoam Coolers
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub