AdvicePets

Use Towel to Introduce New Pet's Smell

Introducing a new pet such as a dog or cat to a family with other animals can be stressful for pets and family. The main reason that pets don't like each other at first, is the strange smell of the new pet.

Wet a terry cloth towel with warm water and wring it out till damp. Wipe the new pet with the towel, then the pets already in the home with the same towel. This process will transfer the smells from the new pet to the established pet, making the transition easier and quicker. Usually within hours.

By littlefeathers from Chillicothe, IL

I used a similar method when I adopted a very aged chihuahua whose owner had passed away. She was owned by my friend's father-in-law and had never left his side all her life, she was fretting badly and wouldn't settle when I got her. I asked my friend for a piece of unwashed clothing (a shirt) from the former owner and I put this in her bed and left it there for a couple of weeks. By this time she had become accustomed to me, my other dogs and the new surroundings and settled in very well. I only had her for another 18 months before she passed away from heart failure but she certainly took a piece of my heart when she left. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt an aged pet again.