Using Homemade Laundry Soap in HE Machines

By brenda 1

Can homemade laundry soap be used in the HE washing machines?

Brenda from Carrollton, Texas

Showing: Answers Sort

By Clara Gonzalez 5 7 Flag

HE liquid soap is recommended as it cleans and helps maintain the washer machines. They are the same price as regular liquid soaps. I'm not so sure on what you mean my homemade soap?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hope this helps.

Question: What is HE Laundry Detergent & When are High-Efficiency Detergents Used

What is HE high-efficiency detergent and when is it used?

Can just any detergent be used in front-load washers? Washer manufacturers recommend 'he' detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers. Is this necessary?

Answer: Washer manufacturers recommend that only HE detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers, and most will even recommend a particular brand of HE detergent.

There is a good reason for using detergent that is specially formulated for these newer front-load washers. HE detergents are concentrated laundry detergents that are low-sudsing especially for use with low water high-efficiency washers.

If regular detergents were to be used in front-loading and high-efficiency washers, the presence of too many suds could 'confuse' washing cycles, cause delays and make proper rinsing of clothes difficult.

Similar to why dish detergent does not work well in a dishwasher which requires specially formulated non-sudsing dishwasher detergent, performance can be severely affected by the use of improper detergents in low water washing machines.

HE detergents can readily be found where regular laundry soap is sold - look for the 'HE' symbol the next time you shop. There is no difference in price for this particular type of detergent, nor is there any reduction in loads per container. Buying in bulk can reap savings and ensure you have it on hand for all your washings.

I've used both Tide® HE and Ultra Sunlight® HE and found they both clean very well. The Tide® brand has a nice mild fragrance and is safe for septic systems, and the Ultra Sunlight® brand sports the HE, Sensitive Skin and Fragrance-Free labels, a real plus for allergy sufferers.

Using proper HE detergent for your high-efficiency low water washer will enable your laundry appliance to perform as it should.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dawn 5 108 Flag

Many HE machines can use regular detergent if you use a lot less of it. I would then presume that home-made soap could be used as well. Let us know, but I doubt you will have trouble.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jenifer 2 Flag

I make and use homemade laundry soap in my HE washer all the time with no problems. It costs me approx. $3.00 a month to do laundry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janet Campbell 2 3 Flag

How do you make your own laundry detergent?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nickle 3 Flag

"Post by jenifer4000 (1) | (01/23/2009)

Contact

I make and use homemade laundry soap in my HE washer all the time with no problems. It costs me approx. $3.00 a month to do laundr"

Jennifer4000:

If you don't mind my asking, what brand of He washer do you have & how long have you been using the homemade laundry detergent? Thanks very much!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Washer manufacturers recommend that only HE detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers, and most will even recommend a particular brand of HE detergent.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jenifer 2 Flag

Saving_Nickles_n_dimes: I have a Whirlpool Duet (2005 model) and I've been using homemade laundry soap for six or seven months now.

There is one thing that I do and have done for a year or so. I buy this product at Lowe's called "Affresh" and run one tablet every couple of months to clean out the outer drum of the washing machine. It helps to keep the soap (store bought or homemade) from guncking up the interior of the machine. It keeps the musty smell away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barb. Lehto 2 14 Flag

Homemade laundry detergent does not have any suds because we don't put a 'sudsing agent' in it. Suds do nothing to clean the clothes - it's just a visual thing - when we see suds, we think the soap is working.

Homemade laundry soap is made by grating a bar of Fels Naptha soap, put it into a pot with enough water to cover the soap + about 2". Heat on low to medium until soap is dissolved , stirring occasionally, and add to a 5 gal. bucket of the hottest water from your tap. Stir well & add 1 cup of WASHING soda (found in laundry area of store). Put into gallon jugs (not milk jugs - plastic is too weak). Use 1/2 c. per load. A bar of Ivory soap can be used instead of Fels Naptha. Soap can gel, so shake before using. Works great & comes to about $1.50 for 5 gal! Been using it for years. If you don't have a laundry tub, use the bathtub & clean it out with the spilled stuff after you are done - a 2fer!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 23, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
Laundry soap on top of a washer.
Best Laundry Soap for Front Load Washers
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:37:54 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings