Remembering to Make Favorite Meals

contest winner icon

I am notorious around my house for forgetting to make certain meals after a while. Since I try so many recipes, sometimes I lose track of some winners that my family loves. I came up with a great idea. Whenever we have a meal that is a real hit, I write out the menu on a recipe card. I file these in their own recipe box.

What's great about this is that it helps me remember great meals. PLUS, I don't have to come up with side dishes that go with it since I list the entire meal (including dessert). I also write next to each item where the recipe is found. Now when I am making up a shopping list, I pull a couple of my "winning dinners" and half the work is done!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

That happens to me all the time. What a great tip! I'm going to start doing that.

This is the best tip I have read on this site.

THANKS

My Aunt did this. Often, because these were meals prepared for clients of her husband, she added names of those attending so the next meal for them would be

different.

This is a great idea! I had thought of that recently that I'd make a notebook with favorite or "hit" menus. Also, I print a lot of recipes off the internet....I print one on ea side of a standard sheet of paper and then slip into plastic sheet protectors. When I try a recipe that we like, I make notations of any changes I may have made or changes I'd like to make, etc....just anything that will help me the next time I make it. If we think the dish is just so so, I pull it and pitch! I love to cook and love trying new recipes....wish I didn't like eating so much!!!

This is a great idea! My kids will sometimes remember something we had last year or whenever and ask when we are having it again - I'd forgotten, too! I think I'll have the kids help me and they can pick future meals for a treat. Thanks.

Oh my goodness you are a SAINT!! I'm a working single mom of three and I've made SO many quick fix awesome meals that the kids remember to this day that I cannot repeat for the life of me. I just made a couple this week and so this idea came right on time. As a single mom with little time to spare, I often times have to use the little moments to make a big impact. This will also give us an opportunity for interactive time. I'm going to have the kids help me remember how I made the dish and record it in a file on the PC harddrive just for them. When I ask what they want for dinner, they'll be able to recall it on the PC with a hardcopy as a backup of course!

many many many thanks!

What a great idea. Thank you for sharing.