Old Door Knob Keeps Falling Off

I have a very old door with old door knobs. I never used the door until I got my little rescue Yorkie who loves to go up the stairs and through the door. My problem is that the knob doesn't stay attached even with the setting screws tightened. One side is an old glass knob the other a brass one.

I am afraid the knob will fall off and the dog will be stuck on the other side.
Can anyone help me fix this? Forget replacing the whole set up, this is an old door that is not normal sized and I am not at all handy.

Linda from Brooklyn, NY

I meant to add that you would need to remove the loose screw/screws completely, place whatever "filler" material you choose to use into the hole.....then screw the screw back into the hole. You may have to experiment to get the correct amount to fill the hole but not overfill it.

If it's a screw that screws into another metal part you could try poking a small tuft of steel wool (even a little piece pulled off a new steel wool soap pad...SOS pad) into the hole. Maybe even a small twist of aluminum foil might work although I've never tried it as I always have steel wool handy. This might make the hole small enough to tighten the screw in the hole.

If it is a screw that screws into wood poke wooden match sticks (previously burned !) or several wooden toothpicks (or for a larger hole wooden golf tee tips work well) into the hole to make the screw fit tighter.

Hope these ideas that work for me will help you improvise and find something that will work for you. Good Luck!

It's the rod that holds the doorknobs together. that the setting screws need to hold to...not sure about how this would work.

Take the whole thing out (both knobs and the connecting rod). Take it to you local hardware or Lowe's and ask them about replacing the rod in the middle...I would guess that time has stripped the notches on the rod and hopefully someone there can just sell you a new rod and all you'd have to do would be to put it back in the door. Good luck. (My brother tells me me that that is what I have to do with my front door, I just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this will push me to do it). Thanks

tennesue you and your brother are absolutely correct. I took the knobs and the rod to our neighborhood hardware store and bought a Progressive Hardware knob and rod set for $9.99. The young lady at the store helped me put it together and instructed me on the way to attach the second knob.

Took maybe 30 seconds and it is working fine!!!!I have another door that doesn't even have the rod or knobs and I am going to go back and get another set for that door.

Thank you and thriftyfun for this excellent site.

Opened Wood Door
Repairing A Door
Home and Garden Repair Home DoorsFebruary 12, 2009
Sewing Machine
Bobbin Case Keeps Falling Out of a Sewing Machine
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Red Glitter Shoes
Preventing Glitter from Falling Off Clothing
smiley face door knob cover
Making Decorative Door Knob Covers