Should the Retailer Compensate a Customer for Returning Due to an Error on Their Purchase?

I was charged twice for a item at Meijers. Do they owe me anything extra for having to come back?

By lorpy from Muskegon, MI

Plain and simple, No. They are only obligated to give you the amount you were over charged.

Most likely they owe you nothing. Read their policies.

You should always check your receipt (and any change) before you leave the store. You are lucky if you actually get the refund on the over charge, as the store could say that you may have bought two of the same item.

The error was yours for not watching as the items were being rung up and then double checking the receipt before leaving the store and, as ilmarlai mentioned, you're very lucky the store trusted you and refunded you after the fact.

Please also keep in mind to be kind to the checkers (and customer service if there was a mistake that later needs to be fixed) because those scanners are very sensitive (I've often seen an accidental double scan) and a checker can not watch each and every single item showing on the register as they are being rung up because those checkers are required to work at a certain speed (which is monitored by items rung per hour within the register computer system). At most grocery stores and also larger stores such as Meijers, Fred Meyers, Wal-Mart, etc. a cashier can possibly lose their job if they don't meet the ring up 'quota'. Slow checkers make the lines longer for waiting customers and cost the company extra money for operating expenses via excess wages and benefits and loss of business if customers are impatient. Those fast working checkers are what help we consumers have lower prices so a mistake or two now and then that we consumers can immediately catch is a good trade off as far as I am concerned. ;-)

When we were double-charged for our purchases at Save-a-Lot about a year ago, it never occurred to us to demand they reimburse us for travel costs. It was enough for me that they credit my debit card the amount of the duplicate charge. We knew which cashier did it, but didn't bad-mouth her openly. We just avoid her line whenever we can.

Remind yourself that everyone makes mistakes and I wouldn't avoid a cashier if she/he made one mistake. It can happen to anybody. :)

I would only expect a credit for the over-charge, and I totally agree with kghsave.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 24, 2010
Whirlpool Washer
Whirlpool Washer Error Codes
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
Overdue Bill
Changing Bill Due Dates
Bread Machine
Bread Machine Error Codes
🎄
🍂