Making A Chess Set Out Of Recyclables

I'm trying to do a Chess Set out of recyclables for a 4-H project. Does anyone have any ideas on good things to use. I don't want it to be a huge set, so any ideas that are small would be GREAT. I'm also trying to figure out some other crafty ideas, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shalom from Charels City, IA

Your biggest challenge with a chess set is the huge variety of pieces you need.

You could use bottle caps as the base for each piece -especially since most recycling places tell you to take the caps off.

The figures could be made out of "shrink foam" (recycled meat trays shrunk in the oven cut to shape) and then stood up in the caps.

Other ideas:

cut cardboard figures from old boxes

Use scraps of fabric or recycled clothing to sew small figures, using twist ties as armatures to make them stand up.

Paint figures on outside of prescription bottles or film canisters.

Cut and reshape metal from cans (be careful of sharp edges)

Make paper pulp, and cast it using cookie cutters - then use the bottle caps as bases.

Use a "hot knife" and cut from old CD's

Recycle magazine pages - make tight rolled up standing pieces by gluing it in a tight roll -and put the piece name on with cut out letters.

...hope these help get ideas flowing.

How about using old stale bread to make bread dough clay for your figures (you mix in a little white glue with the bread. There are recipes online. Or you could cut out piece of plastic one demential or use packing foam that's carved for 3 demential pieces. You won't have a problem making the board, as you can just mask & paint a flat piece of cardboard. Also, don't forget about scrap copper wire & aluminum cans can be cut with old scissors. You'd have fun going to a place like Boeing Surplus!

* To make paper pulp, just put recycled junk-mail paper in a blender with a lot of water then blend well... next let sit for a while & blend again, then strain out pulp & squeeze out excess water in cheesecloth or a piece of cotton fabric, next add some white glue & mix up a thick paste to make your chess pieces & let dry overnight.

You can coat your pieces with old clear nailpolish to make thenm shine!

If you have a narrow wooden curtain rod (or perhaps some dowel) and can cut it into several chunky discs, you could paint the pieces onto one side, or maybe find pictures (e.g. kings and queens from old decks of cards, etc) and stick them to the wooden discs, or even to plastic bottle caps as someone else mentioned.

I found a few links with very creative pieces which looked interesting & fun. Of course unless you do a lot of d.i.y., you may not have enough of these pieces sitting around at home. Anyway, you may need to scroll down the page links:

http://team.lu/chessfigures/photos1.html

http://www.boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/projects/1650/tool-chess/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-chess-set-out-of-corks/

Why not go to a photo shop and ask if they have any of those cannisters which used to hold the films. Add a few decorations to represent each pieces of the chess game and Voila!

My local shop gives me all they receive every two months. I personnally use them for several things like sharing seeds with friends and family.

Just a thought!

I saw a set made out of different nuts and bolts. It looked quite ingenious. It shouldn't be too difficult to find old bolts and fashion to look like chess pieces.

Get thee to thy thrift shop and find spice jars, toys, stuff to cut up, all cheeeeep!

Empty paper-type salt and pepper shakers would make good kings and queens.

Empty prescription vials filled with sand for the base of the pieces. I like the bread dough clay and nut-and-bolt ideas for toppings. You could spray paint the whole thing and then pick out features with colored enamels.

How about using old clothes pins, the snap ones and the old ones you just push on to hold your clothes? A little cloth and what nots could be the cheapest way and yet you are recycling a lot of things into it. What fun.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm really hoping to make it a 3-D chess set, like with those clothespin dolls or something similar. Does anyone of ideas for the rook specifically? Again, thanks for all the ideas. I don't really understand the last feedback, so if you could send me a link with directions, or a more descriptive idea, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ArtznCraftz

Thanks everybody for your ideas, I haven't been on here for a while, so sorry if i didn't reply to peoples answers.

ArtznCraftz

Better Living Green Living RecyclingMay 21, 2008
Felt covered bottle cap becomes Easter bonnet.
Craft Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
Felt Recyclables for Toy Truck
Making Felt Recyclables for a Toy Truck
Making Fudge
Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set
Recycled Toy Train
Recycled Crafts for Kids
🎉
🎄