Sombrero Birdfeeder

This is a cute recycled craft for "Fiesta" Bible School or if you're having a Dora the Explorer or Go Diego Go party, this could be a decoration for your party or craft for the kids to do at the party.

Approximate Time half hour

• yogurt container
  • cottage cheese container lid
  • string (weather proof) if hanging outside
  • spray paint
  • acrylic paint and paintbrush
  • hot glue gun and hot glue
  • drill
  • knife
  • sandpaper
  • bird seed

Instructions:

1. First drill two holes in the bottom of the yogurt container so you can run the string through.
  2. Sand and then spray paint the yogurt container and the cottage cheese container lid. This might need two coats. Let it dry.
  3. Ad

4. With your knife cut an X in the middle of the cottage cheese container lid.
  5. Take the string and run it down through the yogurt cup and pull out both ends through the bottom of the cottage cheese lid. Don't tie it yet.
  6. Hot glue the yogurt cup to the lid first then you can tie a knot in the string.
  7. All that's left to do is painting your sombrero. If you're letting small kids decorate it, maybe stickers would be less messy, but that's all part of the fun!
  8. After your sombrero dries, put in some birdseed and hang it up outside.

By luv2craft from Normalville, PA

Neat idea I will do some of the basics and save the putting together for when my greats come to visit. Thanks.

You know, I can see this as a migratory bird house, as well, if you can use the hot glue gun or soldering

iron to cut out a hole about 1 1/2" from the bottom

and add a pencil hole/pencil for a perch for a hummingbird sized bird, like Warblers. I once found

a tiny lime green bird that was ill. I picked him up and nursed him the best that I could, but he died anyway. In searching for his breed, I learned that he was so rare that the last time one was seen was in 1949. He was a Bachman Warbler. He would have

loved a tiny home like this in the winter to rest for a bit until completing his migration, I'll bet. It's a darling craft! God bless you. He loves birds. : )

I love this idea. I am going to try and make it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Sheila