Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Seashell Craft Ideas

My 5 year old son picked up a ton of seashells while we were at the coast this past summer and I need Ideas of how to use the sea shells in a crafts. I've decorated a picture frame but there are bunch more and he enjoys crafting. Any ideas?

Christy from El Paso, Texas

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Patti (Guest Post)02/17/2009

See my website www.etsy.pattiseashell.com for lots of seashell craft ideas.

RE: Seashell Craft Ideas

By Aina (Guest Post)02/17/2009

I would like to share with all beader friends about making of Sea Shell Jewelry that I posted at my blog.
http://jewelry-skills.blogspot.com Have fun!

By m (Guest Post)12/21/2008

When we go to the beach we always have TONS of shells we bring back and we have no idea of what to do with them. So finally we came up with the idea of putting them on inexpensive frames to "dress them up a bit". They are really cute and fun.
Materials needed are: hot glue gun, (and glue for it of course), a simple picture frame, and plenty of sea shells. Then you go at it with your own creative touch.

By jessi (Guest Post)10/29/2008

I found using a dremil on low and slowly drilling the hole releasing pressure off and on helps with less breakage. This way you don't break through the end so quickly. Also drill the inside so the arch is flat. Hope this helps.

By Unis (Guest Post)08/13/2008

Could someone give me advise on how to clean delicate mother of pearl sea shells. They are very thin and colorful. A tip on how to bring and maintain them looking shiny. I am afraid that the bleach might destroy them completely. They are so beautiful that I don't want to risk not even one. Any tips would be appreciated. By Unis

By Emma (Guest Post)08/09/2007

I saw some really amazing shell craft in the gallery of www.thenantucketbasket.com see what you think.

By Amanda (Guest Post)05/24/2007

If you want something fun and easy to do with small shells you can make candles. Buy cheap pillar candles, I liked the white. Use the tip of your hot glue gun to melt a spot on the candle and press a shell into the wax. You just have to hold it until the wax starts to set. If you do the bottom half of the candle this way and then tie a piece of raffia ribbon around the center it makes for a nice accent piece in a bathroom or anywhere.

By Beth (Guest Post)04/30/2007

Several postings here have spoken about drilling holes in the shells for jewelry, etc. When I try, I often end up crushing the shell or breaking the drill bit. Any tips for drilling through stubborn or delicate shells?

By Gary (Guest Post)03/01/2007

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to drill small holes in seashells? I need a hole just large enough to allow some monofilament line to pass through it. Thanks

By Rick02/08/2007

Well thank you very much :-) ... in the future I hope to expand the site with more craft ideas using shells, but one thing for sure... The Shell People are just plain FUN !!!

By suzanne [240]02/08/2007

SHELL DUDE..
JUST CHECKED OUT YOUR WEB PAGE
I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!

By Eletha (Guest Post)02/04/2007

I bought a white 1" dia. rope at the hardware store and i tacked it around the mirror in my bathroom. Then hot glued the shells on it. I had a lot more shells, so bought more rope and put it in the shower on the top of the tile ledge and around the window in the shower and repeated the procedure. I taped the ends of the rope while working on it and then tied fishing line around the end and frayed the ends.

By Coreen Hart [73]02/03/2007

I once made a necklace out of bean clams and one scallop. The scallop was the pendant. Most of the shells already had a hole drilled in the right place, and those that didn't have one, I used a hammer, small nail, and positioned the shell on a piece of 2'x4' to poke the hole. I made it about 30 years ago, and I was getting compliments on it up until a few months ago when I dropped it and my husband stepped on it. I just strung shells on white crochet cotton and started crocheting. Every so often I crocheted a stitch over a shell to hold it where I wanted it, then crocheted a little more. I tied it at the back of the neck with a bow, but it was long enough to slip over my head. Wish I had some more of those cute little bean clam shells! You could also string beads inbetween the shells and then you wouldn't have to crochet. The beads would hold the shells in place.

By Beth (Guest Post)02/03/2007

I have some beautiful sea shells displayed:
Filled a large urn from the garden store w/sand.
Placed the shells on the sand and covered w/a
large clear glass top from the hobbie store. Makes a
really cute "table". This one is sitting on our
patio.

By Joyce [12]02/03/2007

What i did with my shells was i made a wind chime to hang outside & my sister made a wreath out of them.

By Elaine02/03/2007

here are so many things you can do but a couple are as follows:
Glue them around a peice of plastic or plexi-glass that is the size of a large candle you like to use to make a candle ring.
You can glue them around a mirror the size needed to make a perfume or makeup tray.
Glue them around a flower pot to make it decorative.
I hope this gives you some ideas to go from.
Have fun.

By Linda (Guest Post)02/02/2007

How about gluing them on flower pots for planters, onto a bulletin board frame, drill some holes and string them and make a wind chime (add some driftwood pieces to this if you have them,) Glue onto a soap dispenser for an ocean theme bathroom.