Warm "Lovie" for an Elderly Pet

I have an elderly cat and dog that love warm spots to snuggle in. I had a couple of recycled stuffed bears that my grandchildren had outgrown (the kind with the zippered compartment for a battery box and removed the battery box and most of the stuffing in the body). I sewed a couple of bags filled with rice that would fit through the zippered opening.

Now, I put the rice bags in the microwave and heat them for a couple of minutes, then zip them into the zippered compartment of the bears. I place them in my dog and cat's pet beds and they love snuggling with their warm, furry "Lovie".

By slee15 from AL

What a neat idea!

What a loving thing to do for your "loves"! And I really like that you recycled the stuffed animals, awesome!

I can't say it any better than caseye did!

I do the rice bag thing for our old (and often cold) feet to put at the foot of our bed under the covers at night. Our Catty-Kit will sleep on top of those rice bags, even with his double fur coat on. :-) I never thought about making special bags for them to go in their favorite spots in the daytime. I'll have to try it. Our son's little cat Tyson doesn't have the heavy coat of fur that Catty-Kit does, and I try to cover him sometimes. He'll not stay covered, but I'll bet he'd lie on a nice warm spot.

Great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Pookarina

Hi Slee15 from Alabama! Nice to see you on this website too! You know me from AARP Groups as Jinglebelle - here I am Pixiedust7. I guess we can't resist spreading the good ideas around! This is a really neat idea, that I'll keep in mind for the future. Right now my 3 kitties are age 3,4 and 4, so their bones are still young and okay. I do notice them picking out warm spots on the floor to lie on - this house has radiant heat in a concrete slab. When they get older, I'll use the heated rice bag idea to give them something extra to snuggle with.

Thanks for this idea.

I just love this idea! I don't have one of the 'aminals' right now, but this would be great for kids going to activities like football games, parades, etc. Just pop in one of those 6 hour hand/foot warmers, and they would be toasting for the whole event! I wish I had thought of this for my arthritic old doggie we used to have. I will try it for my Barli when his joints start aching. Thanks for a great idea!

An old english sheep dog sitting on its owners lap.
Caring for a Senior Dog
Pets Dogs Dog ToysJanuary 28, 2011
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Woman Cooking for an Elderly Person
Cooking for an Elderly Person
Dog with Elderly Man
Pets and the Elderly
🎉
🎄