Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Not Going to The Bathroom

My husband and I just rescuded a border collie/chow mix yesterday. She had a sore on her bottom, I am guessing it was from the wet floor in the kennel at the shelter. We plan to take her to the vet this weekend to see what the sore is about. She has a hard time sitting because obvisously it hurts.

She refuses to go to the bathroom during walks. I'm not sure if she's holding it because of the sore on her bottom or she thinks that walks are for exercise only. She will sniff the grass but won't go. Last night after dinner she went to the door we put the leash on her took her out walked for 45 minutes wouldn't go. My mom took her for a long walk outside for about two hours or so earlier in the afternoon wouldn't go. She hasn't gone since she left the shelter. I started to worry.

When we came back from the walk she urinated on her dog pillow. You could tell she felt bad about it. I am not sure if she is confused as to where to go or is she holding it due to the sore on her bottom? We can't just let her outside due to the fact we are condo owners. I took her out for a walk this morning and she didn't go and my husband tried to take her in the middle of the night as well and nothing either. Please help!

Melissa from HI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By koby06/06/2011

We just rescued a black lab 1yrs old We are having trouble walking her on a leash not going poop and pee. she did have a fenceed in yard where she was being fosted So we hink she is used to only going in a fenced in yard. Me and my husand do take turns walking her we do take long walks and she smells like she wants to go but she does not go. We do live in a towmhouse so we do not have a fenced in yard. We do have a fenced in yard for the delevelopment to use and we bring her there and she only will poop and pee in there. We had tried lot of things to make her go on a leash but nothing is working can you please help. Thanks Sara

By YotaSupra (Guest Post)06/01/2006

I have a 3-4 year old australian cattle dog named Kayla that is a rescue dog. She's a total sweetheart, but you can tell she was abused. She does the submission pee and goes through mood spurts where she gets right in your face and wants to love you, then others runs away from you if you look at her wrong. A couple of months ago, I was able to train Kayla and our other austrailian cattle dog, Bittzer, to go potty in a particular area of the back yard to where I don't have to pick it up right away or worry about finding land mines. They've been doing very very good. They're potty area is next to my garden and have learned not to run though there if they can help it, but occasionally get yelled at, but then imediatly praised for being in "their" area. Just recently, neither dog wants anything to do with that area. You have to almost drag Kayla in there, Bittzer will get in there, but he walks the perimeter, won't walk through the middle. They haven't gone poo since early yesterday afternoon, and Kayla only pees submissivly, and Bittz only pees on the fence. There's nothing physically wrong minus the no poo factor but the change of attitude puzzles me greatly!

Editor's Note: Try picking another area of the yard for a while as their special spot. Get some lime and spread that around their old spot to freshen it up. The smells just may be too strong and they want a new spot. That's the only thing I can think of that would make them not want to go there.

RE: Dog Not Going to The Bathroom

By Angela S (Guest Post)03/11/2006

I actually have the same problem. I rescued a little over a week ago two malamute mixes, sisters, who are just at a year old. When we take them on walks, no matter the length, they do not go to the bathroom, except for once, they both peed. But since then, nothing. We take them for an hour in the morning and hour at night, and both times, they do nothing. We bring them home and they immediately defacate in the back yard. Let me know if you find a resolution!

By sandra johnson (Guest Post)02/26/2006

As everyone advised, get your dog to the vet ASAP. The sore isn't her only issue though. Because you don't know her history you don't know if she was ever housebroken. Begin with the vet then either hire a trainer to help you train your dog or research obedience training including housebreaking. It is possible that her previous owners may have traumatized her by rubbing her nose in her feces or pee if she had an 'accident' on the floor. When this happens, the dog will not eliminate in front of the owner any longer, instead, will hide somewhere and 'go'. She may be afraid to 'go' in front of you or anyone else. If the vet gives her a clean bill of health then you must begin to potty train her as if she were a puppy. You didn't say how old this dog is but if she is a pup, she can only hold her bladder for as many hours as she is months old plus one. If she is six months old, she can hold it for seven hours. If she is an adult, she can hold it up to 12 or 13 hours. If she is only a pup, she needs to be in a crate and put on a regular potty schedule. Make sure she is also on a regular feeding and water schedule as well. Training will go much faster and easier if you are consistent and reward her for 'going' in the designated potty area, meaning, take her to the same location out the same door each time. She will get the idea that when she needs to 'go', she will always use the same area. I strongly recommend crating your dog but never use a crate for punishment and if your dog has an accident in the house, do not scold her. Just say something like, "oops!", clap your hands to stop her in midstream and immediately take her to her potty area. Praise her lavishly and you might want to give her a little treat after she goes. This training may take you awhile but please be patient. This poor dog probably has suffered at the hands of some stupid owner and it's obvious, otherwise, the dog wouldn't have wound up in a shelter. You can love her all you want but training and consistency is the key. Good luck with your new 'baby'.

By anne02/26/2006

sounds like you pup really is scared and she is afraid to go potty cause it hurts her going to the vet is the right thing but love cures all.

By Paula in ga (Guest Post)02/24/2006

I am so glad she found you! You are doing the right thing by taking her to the vet...I am so glad that she has someone who doesn't want to see her suffer anymore!
Give her a hug and a doggy kiss from me!

I too saved a young dog who was in bad shape. Named her Lucky and she is a beautiful dog today. Absolutely gorgeous with a nice shiny coat and bright eyes.

Let us know what the vet says!

By Donna [1]02/24/2006

Sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking her to the vet. If everything checks out ok....it could be she has never learned to go to the bathroom on leash. I have a dog that refuses to go on leash as well and I have never been able to teach her despite my best efforts. Her siblings do just fine...it is just her. Luckily we have a fenced yard so it is only an issue when we are travelling. Will a private area with a longer leash help? In the meantime, if you can get her to go on a "potty pad" or newspaper indoors so she gets the idea that is where she needs to go; then when she has that down you can move the paper outdoors and have her pee on that...eventually doing away with the paper. Pretty much just like you would with a puppy when housetraining
Good luck to you and kudos to you for rescuing a dog and giving it a loving forever home!

By Patti (Guest Post)02/24/2006

Yes, there is a problem here, but it may have multiple origins. The sore on her bottom could be the problem, or she could have a urinary infection. Be sure to get her to the vet ASAP, and if you can't get an appointment right away, call the vet's emergency phone number. Don't be shy about it.

Our rescue springer spaniel, Magic, did not poop for three days after we got him. We were worried, but finally discovered that he really needs to run free for a few minutes before he poops. In other words, you'll discover her preferences and "mental problems" over time, but I would have this checked out immediately.

I think potty problems are typical of a lot of rescued dogs. She has been through so much trauma, and this may be her way of expressing the anguish.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Patti

By sandy (Guest Post)02/24/2006

it sounds like she is scared. i rescued ally from a shelter to and she has had bathroom issues since i had her. yes she does need to go to the vet espeically for that sore. keep loving her.

By Linda L (Guest Post)02/24/2006

This dog needs a complete exam by a vet. Something is not right!