Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Dog Scratching His Ears

0EmailPrintFollowSave

My dog keeps scratching his ear, what could it be?

By Tasha from Reading, PA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Cindy 3 287 11/29/2010 Flag

It could be an ear mite infection or another type of ear infection. You need to have a vet diagnose and prescribe appropriate, medication. Infections should be taken very seriously. If left untreated, they can lead to seizures, other health ailments, and/or potentially, death. Hope your pooch feels better soon.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

My cock-a-poo is constantly having a problem with his ears. He is constantly scratching and then whimpers in pain. Any suggestion or remedies for my little dog?

Thank you.
Maltb from Toronto

Editor's Note: If you haven't already, be sure to consult a vet about this problem. It could be serious.

Answers:

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

He may have food allergies. Is he building up a ton of wax? Dog ear wax is black. If he is, he's probably allergic to his food. I'd take him to your vet and have him prescribe duck and potato kibble.

The other option is that he may have ear mites. This is also treatable by a vet.

Our dog had a similar problem and once we switched her to duck and potato kibble, the problem went completely away. (05/15/2006)

By kathykl

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

Dogs can get yeast infection in their ears, too. Check with the vet first for correct diagnosis. (05/15/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

Yes, I agree with the editor in regards with checking with your vet. I used to raise Chinese pugs and was told that the cause of their scratching of the ears was due to ear mites, which can be treated with some sort of tube medication. Also, some breeds of dogs are more prone for this problem to occur rather frequently. (05/16/2006)

By notoldnotyung

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

My dog does not have an ear infection. He just keeps scratching his ears and making them red, bloody and swollen.

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

Why does my dog scratch at his ears all the time and make them bleed?

By starrnheaven from Hagerstown, MD

Feedback:

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

I have a 4 year old Pit-Lab mix,that is constantly licking his ears, he too has made them bleed. They get really dry and swollen, I found that if I put Baby Vaseline inside his earlobes and all around the inside his ears, it helps. (09/05/2009)

By jamarski

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

Your dog probably has ear mites. You can buy ear mite medicine over the counter or you can take your dog to the vet and get prescription medicine. If left untreated, ear mites can cause infection. (09/06/2009)

By Patty Lynn

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

Like my dog, he also has ear allergies. I started him on an all natural dog food and I make his all natural treats. He has not had another episode. Hope this helps. (09/09/2009)

By busdrivr

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

It could be one of two things, starrnheaven. It might be earmites or may be an allergy. either way both need attention. Please bring your dog to the vet to confirm which it is. Then you are certain which one you are dealing with. My Sheltie, Jewel, had this problem and it was allergies. Once on the medicated ear drops she was fine. I only needed to treat seasonally.

(09/09/2009)

By elaine2004

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

My vet cleaned my dog's ears, and sent me home with a bottle of ear flush and some ointment. Problem solved.

Jennifer
Northern VA (09/16/2009)

By ILuvDobes

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

My dog is constantly scratching and growling at his ears. I've checked for fleas, but cannot find any. What could be the problem?

By Suzanne from Manchester

Feedback:

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

It is probably two things, ear mites and then an ear infection. If you take him to the vet and ask for them to check his ears for whatever kind of antibiotic he needs and mite meds, then it won't cost much. Then tell them you can only pay twenty or so dollars today, but you will bring the rest in later that month. It is always a good idea to set up a little envelope in the house and put money in it for the animals. I have increased the amount of money I spend on the animals in our house by buying the more expensive food with meat, not meat by products in the first four ingredients, and I have started a savings account for their flea prevention. There are some good ideas for home remedies, but these are not to replace the vet, but to use before you can get to the vet.

Check out: earthclinic.com.

It is really easier to take them to the vet, and quicker, and that way they get used to going to the vet's and you are happier in the long run, too.
P.S. I have found Frontline to no longer be effective since they have become available in stores, they have changed their formula I believe. I would recommend anything, but that as a topical treatment for fleas.

Blessings,

Robyn (09/13/2010)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

It's time for a visit to his veterinarian. (09/14/2010)

By K9cats

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

He may have a yeast infection. My dog has had yeast infections. The vet gave us some ear wash and drops, which helped a lot. (09/14/2010)

By Marfette

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

The only person who can make a diagnosis of your dog's ear is the veterinarian and if the animal is shaking it's head together with scratching this could be "ear hematoma" and if this is the case the ear will only get worse without immediate treatment. (09/14/2010)

By FARSTAR