Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Scratching His Ears

My dog keeps scratching his ear, what could it be?

By Tasha from Reading, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cindy [3]11/29/2010

It could be an ear mite infection or another type of ear infection. You need to have a vet diagnose and prescribe appropriate, medication. Infections should be taken very seriously. If left untreated, they can lead to seizures, other health ailments, and/or potentially, death. Hope your pooch feels better soon.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

My cock-a-poo is constantly having a problem with his ears. He is constantly scratching and then whimpers in pain. Any suggestion or remedies for my little dog?

Thank you.
Maltb from Toronto

Editor's Note: If you haven't already, be sure to consult a vet about this problem. It could be serious.

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

He may have food allergies. Is he building up a ton of wax? Dog ear wax is black. If he is, he's probably allergic to his food. I'd take him to your vet and have him prescribe duck and potato kibble. The other option is that he may have ear mites. This is also treatable by a vet. Our dog had a similar problem and once we switched her to duck and potato kibble, the problem went completely away. (05/15/2006)

By kathykl

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

Dogs can get yeast infection in their ears, too. Check with the vet first for correct diagnosis. (05/15/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

Yes, I agree with the editor in regards with checking with your vet. I used to raise Chinese pugs and was told that the cause of their scratching of the ears was due to ear mites, which can be treated with some sort of tube medication. Also, some breeds of dogs are more prone for this problem to occur rather frequently. (05/16/2006)

By notoldnotyung

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

My dog does not have an ear infection. He just keeps scratching his ears and making them red, bloody and swollen. I can't afford to keep taking him to the vet, because he has allergies and keeps scratching himself raw. Any suggestions? He is on an allergy-free food. I tried putting socks on him. Nothing works. What do you do with a dog with floppy ears that keeps scratching at them raw?

wacky camper

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

My dog does that and she has a yeast infection in her ears that is caused by allergies. The vet can tell by doing a scraping and checking under the microscope. Benadryl helps, but you have to know the right amount for your size dog. I just ordered Zymox Enzymatic Solution online. It was recommended to me. Our dog currently has a yeast infection in her ear and the vet's medicine isn't helping it. I also bought her beef and potato dog food, dog probiotics, and enzymes to help with yeast overgrowth in the stomach from antibiotics. (01/27/2009)

By Loretta B.

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

There is a site www.earthclinic.com that has some suggestions you might try. Also Jim Zim's site (google it). A visit to the vet is in order to determine the cause (mites, bacterial, yeast, allergies). Do you feed a good food? Vitamins? Supplements? If not, start. This is usually an immmune-deficiency problem. Also could try adding some apple cider vinegar to the dog's water bowl. Introduce raw meat, vegetables, and fruits to the diet. A drop or two of almond oil soothes the inflammation, apply topically. (01/27/2009)

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

If you've been to the vet and it's not an infection, it could be a yeast infection. There's a liquid medicine you can get from your vet to help with it. You squirt it on a cotton ball and wipe the inside of the ears to kill the yeast. It's called DermaPet. I think you can also get it from Doctors Foster and Smith online. You should give your dog generic Benadryl, too. That will reduce the itching and frantic need to scratch. Our dog is 55 lbs. and we give her two capsules twice a day when she gets allergies. Good luck.

Lee in Florida (01/28/2009)

By PainterLee

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

I agree with the possibility of ear mites as well, but we have a female Boxer that constantly scratches her behind and the vet could find no problem. We use Hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl which seems to help. Also if you get a prescription for your pooch, ask the vet to call it in to the local pharmacy, they don't like to do it, but usually will if you ask. It could save lots $$$. A prescription that I was paying $70 for at the vet was 5.99 at the pharmacy. Hope this helps. (01/28/2009)

By Jodi from IA

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

My dachshund always suffers ear mites which makes them scratch. I use tea tree oil mixed with olive oil. Use 2 drops of tea tree to 1 teaspoon of olive oil pour into ear and massage well. Do this twice a day. Result happy dog. Good luck. (01/28/2009)

By gerar q

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

If you've had the vet check, then read this; if your dog has been scratching for a long time, it gets to be a "learned habit". Much like O.C.D. in people. My dog was doing this, and kept ripping her ears open from the scratching. I tried everything. Then the vet put her on a mild tranquilizer called "clomicalm". It worked wonders. No more scratching. And the pills are really tiny, so no problems giving them to her. Ask your vet. (01/28/2009)

By catastrofy

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

My Scottie has allergies also, and trust me, the hypo allergenic dog food the vet will sell you also has things dogs can be allergic to. My dog happens to be allergic to soy products, chicken by products, carrots, salmon, and cod. Did the vet run a blood panel on him to tell you exactly what he's allergic to? We've finally found a wonderful medicine call Atopica. Given once a week and no more scratching, hair loss or yucky yeast infections in his ears.

The Vet Allergist did tell us that dogs that have allergies (and even some that have been on prednisone and such for allergies) can have recurring yeast infections. We keep a standing prescription for an ear wash and cream to use on him at the first sign of a problem.

Most vets (especially if it's your regular vet) will take payment plans. If they're half their weight in salt they also don't like to see a pet suffer. Talk to them. If they're not willing to work with you on your pet's problem find one that will (perhaps there's a college in your area with a Vet program?). A vet without compassion for a pet in pain doesn't need a license. (02/03/2009)

By dinkly

RE: Dog Scratching His Ears

I am having the same problem with my little beagle, Ella. The vet says it is allergies, but when she scratches so much it turns into an infection. We are trying Omega 3 amino acids. Basically, those are fish oil or flax seed oil. I am using a powder I sprinkle on her food. So far so good. She would go for a while then it would always come back, but since we have been doing this, she has not had any problems. Good luck. TC in Mo (02/09/2009)

By TC in MO

Archive: Dog Scratching His Ears

Why does my dog scratch at his ears all the time and make them bleed?