Dog Scratching But I Don't See Any Fleas

Category Health
There several reasons your dog may be noticeably scratching. If there are no fleas more investigation is needed. This is a guide about dog scratching but I don't see any fleas.

My dog is acting like he has fleas, but I do not see any. He has white tan fur, and I should be able to see them (I would think). He keeps acting weird and looking at his tail and behind, and stands up and then sits down fast to see what is on him. He has a major fear of bugs. He is now hiding under my computer desk and shakes. I changed his food over 2 weeks ago to Moist N Meaty, because he is so picky. He is acting weirder then normal lately. Any ideas? Could it be the food? He itched before, that is not new. But the hiding and acting like things are crawling on him is so sad.

Lisa from Westland

Best Answer

Maybe he has an allergy to something. You could always go the safe route and apply Frontline just in case it is something like fleas or ticks. But if he's acting extra batty, you may need to take him to the vet. If it's his hind end that's giving him fits, it might be worms, too. That's easy enough to fix. Good luck!

By Mythi (Guest Post)
Best Answer

He could be allergic to something in the food or he could have skin allergies. I had a cocker spanial that had bad allergies. You probably should take him to the vet and have him checked out.

They can give him medicine for the itching and spray too. That way you will know what is wrong with him. Good luck to you both and I hope he feels better.

Best Answer

I would get an appointment with your vet as soon as possible because allergies can turn into a Staph infection pretty quickly. My vet could find irritation when I couldn't.

He sounds like he is really mserable. I know the vet bills are expensive but sometimes our four legged friends have to come first. I rescued two cats in January and one has a severe allergy either to her food or the cat litter - I am afraid to change either now. The brand Innova has food for both cats and dogs that has no grain. It is called "Evo" and that is what I use. I found it at Petco.

Best Answer

I think he might have allergies but if he shakes have the vet just do an exam. At least he can diagnose the problem. My dog (cocker spaniel) has a habit of standing up and staring at her backend too, then sitting down.

I had her checked for worms (none). It turns out she is prone to urinary issues which come and go and dry skin.