Cleaning Old Bathroom Tiles - Categories:

BathroomCleaning

Cleaning Old Bathroom Tiles

Hi there. I live in an old brownstone and have those small white hexagonal tiles in my bathroom (like most other old brownstones in Boston). They are quite old and are now pretty dingy. I have tried cleaning them with bleach, to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting the tiles white again?

Melane from Boston

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Borax works best in getting out those hard water stains, and other nastiness that collects over time in your tub and shower.. I would try that you wont have the smell from bleach.

or you can wipe it down real good with vinegar, then

pour baking soda on and scrub it real good.

Robbie

Are they the floor tiles?? Part of the charm of those old places is the old tiles. Scrub them as best as you can and learn to love their look. You can try putting a finish on them with something like Future Acrylic Floor Finish, but it will need to be redone regularly. (Strip with ammonia)

I had the same problem with an old sink in my bathroom. I spray painted it with a glossy pearlized cream color and it looks beautiful!

If the surface glaze is worn off and the actual clay of the tiles is discoloured I don't think there's anything you can do but re-coat the them, You can get paint specifically for tiles and should follow the instructions for application on the container.

If the glaze is in tact try sanding the surface with very fine grade sandpaper called 'wet and dry' - its black and can be used with water. Start with a 600 grade grit and just buy one sheet first off to see if it makes a difference. If it has no effect go to a lower grade coarser grit such as 400. This will not harm the glaze - I use it for stubborn stains in the toilet and porcelain sinks. Use a bucket of water and a cloth to wipe after scrubbing. It just works as a mild abrasive - like baking soda but cheaper - and will remove ground in dirt, mineral scale and floor sealer/polish build up. You may have to rub quite hard on the one area for a while but if it restores the tiles it will be worth it!

Regards

Jo

Bar Keeper's Friend! Check out theirwebsite:barkeepersfriend.com I use this product on tile, glass, fiberglass, stainlees steel, brass ( it's a polisher!), porcelin sinks/tubs, plastic-even white wall tires!

Besides the basics: vinegar & baking soda it's just about the only cleaner I use. Mix it as a paste with water. Use fingers or a toothbrush to apply. You will be amazed with this product. I'm on the West Coast. I get it at Walmart and some grocery stores but you can check out their website. Happy cleaning! :)

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on them. Work well on my tile floor and works great to get grout clean. Will take some elbow grease, but it is worth a try.

Did any of those tips work? We just found the same thing in our old bathroom-but I can't get them white.

someone said a diluted muratic acid, then remove with several water washings works?

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJanuary 24, 2005
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 2:04:48 PM on 10.0.1.31 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.