Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Stainless Steel Sink Stained By Lime Away

I need to know how to restore my brand new stainless steel sink? I put Lime Away on it and let it stand while I mopped and when I came back to clean it off it had dulled in the places that the lime away dripped down. Please tell me there is a way to fix this?

Jennifer from Florida

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lizzyanny [9]09/30/2009

I am a cleaning lady and I have had success with a product called Zud removing stains from metal products, including stainless steel. It is similar to Bar Keepers Friend (contains oxalic acid). The only caution I have is that it is a mildly abrasive powder so I do not use it on very shiny finishes. What it takes off sometimes amazes me.

By Randy (Guest Post)12/11/2008

Never use pumice stone on anything. Present day comodes and sinks are made of china, not porcelain and any scratching destroys them forever. There is a product called Microsoft Gel Stainless Steel Cleaner. It has just enough abrasion to bring your sink back to almost like new. Use a white rubbing pad, something like a cosmetic white pad, and rub it with this Microsoft gel and water , rinse, and rub with a soft towel till it shines. There is a misconception about pumice stone that it is designed for that. It may be. It will get it clean but the next time you go to clean it, and espeecially using pumice stone, it will be harder and harder to clean each time.I have used this Microsoft product for scrubbing operating room floors with disinfectant, counter tops in break tooms, marble, and stainless steel. Any non porous surface. It works.

By Linda [1]10/26/2008

Is it the real shiny type or the brushed look? I had a similar problem when I used something else on my brushed type finish. This made it look almost like new for me.

Use a pumice stone and scrub the sink with that. Do not rinse out but then use steel wool and scrub again. Rinse. Then wash with liquid dish detergent and rinse.

By Sher'a Sutherland10/08/2008

Try scrubbing it with BonAmi, then dry it and put mineral oil on a soft cloth and wipe the sink down with that. I have a SS sink, and our water is very hard.

By Diane [11]10/07/2008

You may have etched the metal, but more likely there was a protective coating of something on the steel that has been eaten away. I would try soaking a sponge in Lime Away and wiping it down to see if it evens out the finish.

By Cyinda [214]10/07/2008

A more permanent fix would be to take a drill & attach a soft buffing wheel to it & buff the sink with just plain mineral oil. If this does not fix it then you can go into the automotive area of any large store (like Walmart) or to an auto parts store & buy some MILD buffing compound. They make it in many different strengths to bring back the luster to a cars painted finish. You don't have to use a drill with a buffing attachment, you can just use the mild buffing compound & a soft flannel or cotton cloth.

Then after you've gotten the luster back, finish with a thin coating of mineral oil or WD40 then buff it off with a soft rag. The mineral oil will shine & protect your sink & if you continue to use it every time you clean your sink it won't get water spots. Mineral oil also works on other appliances like your stove, oven & fridge. You only need a tiny bit, then buff the rest off with a very soft rag.

By Patsy [5]10/07/2008

This is a short term fix, you can use WD40 on it, spray & wipe off. It will give the luster back & protect it from the lime build-up. You will have to continuely use the WD40 but it does work. I use it often on our stainless steal drinking fountains at work as I can't stand drinking fountains with water spots nor lime build-up. Good luck.