Reusing Mini Blinds

Category Reusing
When replacing your mini blinds, stop before you throw them in the trash, you might be able to reuse them in creative ways. This is a guide about reusing mini blinds.

When I used to have a chain link fence, I liked to run the slats from the blinds into the chain link in different color sequences. If you get creative enough, designs and even words can be seen or displayed. When you finish, you will have a beautiful fence, giving your yard "privacy" while recycling at the same time.

When one of my mini blinds broke, I thought about what a waste it was. After a time I was repotting plants and needed markers for them. They were African violets. I decided to cut up the slats of the mini blinds. Then as I was planting my garden I realized I could also use the slats to mark them as well. Actually, I have found many uses for those slats and I am still on using the same mini blind. Those slats will last me for years to come. Another use might be as a marker in a filing cabinet, marking rabbit or chicken pens, etc.

By Diane from Pingree, ID

Love that Idea! I was just gritting my teeth again as my hubby broke another one of the slats! It's white so it will be great! Wonderful recycle tip!

Hello I need help in the re-purpose/recycle dept. I have some old matchstick roll up blinds. Any ideas on what I can do with them or make them into? I have about 10 or so I would hate to toss them and a week later realize that I should have kept them. The only thing I have thought of is making a few place mats. Thanks for the help.

Connie from Colt, AR

Thanks for all the great ideas. They really do have a nice look and feel. Thanks again connie

I have used matchstick blinds as a headboard. I removed all the hardware and layed them flat. I measured how big I wanted the headboard and cut them, then had them framed and attached to the frame of my son's bed. I used three blinds for a twin bed.

Laura

What about a runner to put by your door, as a shoe or boot collector? If you put clear contact paper on the bottom, it will be somewhat waterproof.

1) If these were my blinds I can tell you EXACTLY what I'd do with them. (I wish they WERE my blinds!) I'd use them outside. I'd drive some metal stakes or bury 1" x 1" wooden posts into the ground at my fence line, or next to my house or along my garden or anywhere I could use privacy then staple, wire or nylon twine to tie these blinds to the posts to make a sort of "fence" from them, then on the back & the front, I'd spray them with a clear linseed oil deck sealer or an colored stain to keep them safe from the weather. (You can just use a garden sprayer for $12).

You can then plant Ivy, clematis or any vine & have it climb & grow up the blind. If you seal them properly, they can withstand the weather. They would make excellent trellis's for your peas or beans grow up too! They could also be use to make a great little privacy sunbathing or temporary courtyard if you use metal posts you can just pound in to your yard then remove them later & roll the blinds back up & store them for the winter season.

2) If you have a chain link fence for more privacy you can zip-tie or wire them to your chain link fence after sealing them (Privacy, privacy, privacy. Can you believe I live in a mobile home area?).

3) On a DIY home decorating show, they took these same blinds & use them to cover a whole peaked ceiling on an indoor porch. (If you're interested I can find the show for you) I've also seen them hung on a wall then framed with thin but rough wooden boards.

4) But the coolest thing I saw was on a Christopher Lowell show. He hung these up on pretend windows then hung mirrors behind them. (In a small room with no windows) the reflection of the mirrors glinting through the matchsticks made it look like light was coming through the windows! It was VERY cool!

5) If you'd like a shorter garden trellis, I bet you could cut them in half with wire snips, sturdy scissors or even a jig-saw.

6) I could also see them cut to size, then framed in to cover up old kitchen cupboards. They could even be painted to match.

7) How about tied around an indoor or outdoor planter with rafia! WOW!

8) As a backdrop for a fountain.

9) To cover the sides of a treehouse or a kids clubhouse.

10) As a last effort when the shades are ready to fall apart, If you live in an area with lots of mud as I do, how about just laying them down on the ground by the front & back door before you step on the porch to stop mud from tracking into the house. I bet grass would grow up through the holes!

11) Lay them under your car when working on it to keep clean.

12) Keep one in your car trunk for traction when you get stuck in the snow or mud.

13) As a rug for outdoor furniture. Or as extra seating, kids can sit on it during a barbecue or picnic.

14) Lay your towel on one when sun bathing

15) If you have an outdoor pool or hot-tub, lay one down in the area when you enter it to stop grass from sticking to your feet before entering the pool or hot-tub.

A small, placemat sized matchstick piece with strings or ribbons on the ends makes a handy carrier for artists' brushes. If the bristles of the brushes are damp, the stiff rolled up and tied matchstick thingy keeps the bristles from drying crookedly. I forgot to say that you lay the matchstick thingy on the table, place the brushes on the matchstick and roll it up and tie it. The ones you buy in the art supply store have pockets to hold the brushes. If you buy it in the store, it might cost $3.

If going outside, be sure to stain them with exterior fence stain, if not already painted/stained natural..? If going on the floor, use epoxy but paint them on newspaper outdoors.

If going in the bath, remember that they are perfect for roaches to live behind and they are BIG dust

catchers. I used them in several places when we lived in Hawaii. If yours are already old, they might be made better than current ones, but if new, beware that they might not weather well, nor take foot traffic without splintering.

If using for a lamp, keep the diameter at least 10-12 inches away from ANY size bulb. The larger the bulb, though, the farther from the VERY flammable "matchstick" blinds the blinds need to be.

I'm just a practical grandmother, thinking of all the angles! lol

God bless and help you. : )

I just shortened 2 sets of mini blinds and have lots of extra slats. Does anyone know of a way to use these?

By Louise from PA

They make amazing siding for doll houses & indoor birdhouses. You can also use them to cut fimo & cookie dough. Also, remember how we'd take playing cards & using clothespins attack them to the spokes of our bikes so they'd make noises when we road? These would work even better that playing cards. I bet you could make some wonderful hanging mobiles as well! I bet they would work wonders to keep mice & cockroaches out of cupboards & drawers. We have a crack the runs along ours where mice were getting in & I placed a plastic ruler along this crack keep tiny critters out, but a mini blind would have worked better.

Come to think of it, you could use them as makeshift "rulers" to draw a straight line with. But unlike a ruler, because they're bendable you could use them on curved surfaces like on pillars, rocks, spheres, etc. If they are flat you could cut little them into squares then use them as "mosaics", by first spray painting, then gluing & "grouting" with craft glue or a dimensional sealer. etc.

If you cover them with copper tape, you could attach it with double-sided tape, tacks or tiny screws to areas where you need to keep slugs or snails away. I had some blinds that were made of wood & I wove them through my chain-link fence for added privacy after spray painting them. I'm sure aluminum would work even better. You usually weave them at an angle, but if the blinds are super skinny, you can sometimes weave them vertically.

I've heard of cutting the narrow plastic & metal ones into lengths of about 8" and using them for plant identification markers when you are planting in the spring. You would have to see if pencil or marker worked best to write on them.good luck.

Mini Blind slats can be used in the garden as Plant Markers Have fun.

I have used them for book marks. Most can be cut with either scissors or a craft saw. cut the ends rounded, then let the kids paint them, use markers, etc. I have let them use crayon to decorate, then cover with waxed paper. Use an iron on low setting to lightly go over them. colors meld together - every piece is different! Have fun!

I've been trying to come up with a way to "sturdy-up" a cover for the cat bed I'm trying to make. This is perfect! I'm going to use these and bend them around and cover them. Then I can attach them on either side and in the back.

Thanks for the idea!

Do not throw away extra slats from your blinds. They have come in handy when I accidently broke a slat and needed to be replaced.

Does anyone have any uses for old vertical blinds? We replaced a bunch and I feel like there must be something I can do with them. They are the fake wood kind not the plastic.

Thanks,
De

I cut the vertical blinds into strips of 6" or so and put them in a coffee can. When my husband and I plant seeds in the spring for our garden, I write what they are on the strip. I also use them when I start new plants from the leaves of my African Violets. I record the date and color, just so I'll know how long it takes for them to mature and flower. When I plant my iris bulbs, I put the name of the iris and put it in the ground so I can learn the names, as I tend to forget them by the time they are blooming.

In most areas they have freecycle on the yahoo. You can give them to someone that needs them..Go to yahoo groups and type in freecycle and you can find if there is one in your area.

Just a comment to Eletha,

Vertical blinds made into plant labels work great for a few years. When labeling for inside plants it works wonderful. Lasts for years and years.

Outside plants...unless you push the label right into the ground the sun will deteriate the blind tags and they will go brittle and fade. Please make a map of your flower bed so you will know which iris is which if your tag breaks or fades. I do use the blind tags as a temporary tag until I make a permanent one from tooling copper cut into 1 x 3 rectangles and written on hard enough to leave a permanent indentation of the name of the plant. I have labeled most of my 800plus plants on our acreage this way and have lost the names of only a few of them (because of the blind tags fading and breaking years ago before I started to use copper tooling).

Any plants that I give away I use the blind tags in them for the new owner to identify the kind of plant I gave them.

I also use these tags when I have my annual garage sale with perennials. We write the prices on these tags, stick them into the plant pots and when they are sold, we just pull out all the price tags and add them up for our customers. Each of us at the garage sale use a different color on the blind tags to allocate who gets the money from the plants and at the end of the sale we sort and wash the blind tags in order to store them until next year's sale.

A friend of my sister used them to make christmas ornaments.She first diecut them into gingerbread men then painted them . Last, she punched holes in the tops to hang them. I'm thinking of doing something similar but I thought I cut a slit on the tops of wooden dowels and make plant pokes, or mobiles,I may even string them with wire and beads to make suncatchers. I hope I helped in someway Be creative, I'm sure there are lots of cool ideas.

If they are thin and flexible enough, you could paint them with Krylon Fusion spray paint in colors to coordinate with your interior colors, or leave color as is, since yours is a "natural" color which is a trend now. Then cut them to size, weave them to form a checker like pattern; "frame" edges with another strip and cover with cut acrylic. Use to decorate tabletops, a dishwasher top, etc. This works well with vinyl clothlike blinds.

I cut yogurt containers into 2" strips with pointy ends as tags for garden use. This is my first year using it, and I would think that being plastic, it will not turn brittle in the sun.

I have lots of old venetian blinds that I no longer use and really don't want to see them go to the landfill. Any ideas of things to do with these would greatly be appreciated.

By Cindy

We recently used the 'slats' from old blinds as garden markers for individual plants and for row markers.

I am looking for a craft idea using broken window blind slats for children who range in ages from 2 1/2 to 8 years old. Thanks.

Dee from Charlevoix, MI

Answers:

Crafts Using Window Blinds

Window Blind Slats? I wish I could help. I will tell you what I do when I run into the question of making a craft or reusing something.I take the item into my hand and think of possibilities. I haven't seen a window blind slat in years. I remember as a child finding one in the trash and breaking it apart. I remember the sound they made how I would listen to the click like sound when I swung it and it folded a bit I remember I got a scratch after I kept bending the slat until it broke.

I would guess you could make a kind of wind chime. You would have to paint the slats to prevent rusting and that might change it's sound. After the base paint coat you could go create and drawer little characters on the one side and give the other side a different color of paint on it's second coat. Somebody is going to have to use tin snips to cut away the string hole at the bottom and still keep it from being sharp. Or from those same holes you could string and attached little bells.
No, I haven't done this, but the possibility is there.

One other possibility is to paint and line the slats into a wind wheel. Now when I say a wind wheel I mean picture a large tin can sitting on a table now the top and bottom part you install your slats into. Again there is a lot of cutting, painting maybe a bright color and also paint a moving design on the slats so as the wheel spins around the design looks like it moves.

The only other possibility I can come up with is using those slats as hills for Hot Wheels cars to get up speed from? Perhaps a side by side Hot Wheels starter hill racetrack attach them to a card board box base decorated. At the top design a barrier which can be moved to start the Hot Wheels at the same time. In fact you could even fence in this racetrack using painted and decorated slats. I find with the use of imagination almost anything is possible.
The children you have still use their imagination a pity most of us seem to throw ours away as we get older.

I hope I help and I hope others will come up with even better projects.
Best wishes.
Mr Thrifty (07/01/2006)

By Mr. Thrifty

Crafts Using Window Blinds

I purchased plants from a garden club and they used the plastic slats from blinds as tags to identify the plants. They cut them in 6 inch lengths and used a permanent marker to write on them. The kids could plant seeds? Depending on how many blinds you can access. I would think you could have the kids weave them into placemats. Or they could use them to make tic tac toe grids or hopscotch patterns on the floor. (07/05/2006)

By Kate

Crafts Using Window Blinds

How about making bird houses. You could use cardboard for the structure and use the slats for the "siding" and roof. (07/09/2006)

By katluvsbears

Crafts Using Window Blinds

The birdhouses are an excellent idea. You could even buy preassembled wooden houses from a local hobby store and use the slats as "vinyl siding". I just moved into a new house and had to buy blinds. Adjusting for the length of the windows has left me with a plethora of excess slats. This will be a great idea to use them rather than put them in the trash. (07/29/2007)

By Eual

Crafts Using Window Blinds

Some are made of wood, some are metal and some are plastic. Depending on what kind you have. Do what you can with popcycle stick art, but adjust for the width of your slat. (11/13/2008)

By TandT Grandma