What Can I Use to Kill Weeds in My Lawn?

Will Treflan kill African Bermuda grass if I put it on to kill weeds?

By Hulcy from Earth, TX

Hello Hulcy, I don't know anything about Treflan, but here is another idea for you to consider. This may sound crazy, but do some google or bing internet searches on "table sugar as lawn fertilizer" or some such combination of related words. (Sorry, I don't have the particular sites bookmarked.)

Yep! I'm talking about regular ole table sugar. You can buy the large bags (25 lbs.or more) from a Sam's Club or bulk supply source and use an ordinary push-powered fertilizer spreader to apply. (You should be able to find a "pounds of sugar to square footage of lawn" ratio in the Internet searches for your specific sized yard.)

This method does a take full year for optimum results, and annual upkeep after that. I have not personally tried this but intend on starting this spring. A sister and BIL in TX swear by this, and from what I've read, the theory behind it makes perfect common sense.

Besides being less expensive than commercial and/or chemical fertilizers or herbicides, it's also a very "green" alternative with next to zero chance of harming children, pets or other wildlife! Good luck!

Trifluralin is a general broadleaf weed killer. HOWEVER, please check the label of the product you want to use, and be sure to follow the directions exactly. It should not kill the bermudagrass, but check the label first please...

March 25, 2011 Flag

I have tried numerous herbcides on my grass (Emerald zoysia) without much success. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can use to help eliminate the weeds? Thanks.
Bob

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By boblink1

Answers:

You can pull them out with a weed puller from Lowe's or pour hot water on them.

Cut the weed back to ground level and pour the hot water only on the root. This is safer for nearby plants and faster destruction of the weed.
Good luck. (05/03/2010)

By kffrmw88

Home and Garden Gardening LawnMarch 25, 2011
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎉
🎄