Storing Large Bags of Dog Food

I use a "dog food only" garbage bin with the locking handles to store 50 lb bags of dog food. The whole bag goes into the bin which is stored in the garage. It keeps the food fresh and keeps the dog out of it.

By Carol from Palo Alto, CA

It also keeps the mice out of it! Especially in a garage.

We had a cooler that the hinges for the lid broke. works great to store dog food!

I use a large clear plastic bin (holds 2 37lb bags of dog food) with the locking handles...it allows me to see without opening it how much dog food is left, and the bin is low enough that the food at the bottom is able to be reached easily. For us, it keeps the raccoons out of it. Even in the garage, we've had them come up to snack on the pet food, along with a possom, and a family of skunks.

I use a 78-qt storage bin with a snap on lid to store my dog food. It sits in the basement since I have an indoor dog.

As long as it's air tight and an OK type of plastic!

Try not to overstock dog food. Although it is bagged or put into containers, dry dog food does become rancid after a couple of months.

I store my food in an airtight container that came with an Iams purchase years ago when I still fed Iams. I usually wouldn't because, the type of plastic it is. It could get grain mites (while not harmful, the bugs are disgusting). But, with 6 dogs going through the food. It's gone fast, anyway. So the food doesn't sit in there for months. It holds about 35 lbs of food. I keep it in my laundry room.

I have 2 small dogs and they only go through about 4 pounds of dry food a week. But the brand I get sometimes I can't find anything smaller than an 8 pound bag. So I put 4 pounds into the dispensing container I have, and seal up the rest of the bag and put it in my freezer. Keeps it from going stale and it's still fresh for them the next week.

Dried Pet Food and Wooden Spoon
Storing Pet Food
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 28, 2008
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Air Filled Packing Bag
Uses for Air Filled Packing Bags
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
🎉
🎄