Frugal Windshield Repair

I got pulled over recently and was warned by the officer that I needed to replace my windshield. It has a pretty substantial crack in it. So I go down to the windshield repair shop and they want 600 dollars to do it... the car might be worth twice that. Anyone have any advice for getting this done for cheaper? Thank you, Val

Have you checked with your car insurance company? It may very well be covered on your policy!

Check with local junkyards. You can have it delivered to a windshield replacement place, it's much cheaper.

I got my windshield replaced for $100 using my car insurance's "buy back" program. The replacement shop came to me and installed it while I was at work. Call your agent and see if you have something similar available!

There are differing grades of windshield, and you may have been given an estimate for the highest grade. My husband once replaced a windshield for $200 instead of the other one quoted for $400. A week later, he got in the car and a cat jumped onto the hood. He scared it by rapping on the windshield and he hit it hard enough to break it! So the cheapest quote isn't always going to be your best bet.

Also, although it's hindsight now, when you do get a ding in the new windshield, some insurance companies, like Geico, will call a repair person to come to your home for free and seal the pits and small snakes so it doesn't continue to spread. Then when you do need a windshield, they will pay the deductible because you tried in good faith to keep it from becoming a problem.

Yeah, get a used windshield installed and everything for like 1-200, I've done this at least once and even thou it's used I could never tell.

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceJune 28, 2004
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 27, 2016 at 8:59:54 PM on 10.0.1.125 in 995 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.