Growing Cucumbers

Cucumbers are a good addition to any vegetable garden. This is a guide about growing cucumbers.

April 19, 2007 Flag

Here are some tips for growing cucumbers by the ThriftyFun community.

Plant With Sunflowers

Cucumbers are sweeter when you plant them with sunflowers!

By Mariann

Grow Near An Archway

Plant one near a decorative planted garden archway, the cucumber plant will weave its way up the arch with the ornamental. I had a self seeded pumpkin growing among my rampant climbing rose, it was no problem, shared the fertiliser and water, fruited well and I just pulled the stems out when they were dead.

By Jo

Hanging Basket On A Fence

Try growing your cucumbers in hanging baskets hanging on a fence. If it's a wooden fence, all you need to do is stretch a wire or some string along it so as the cucumber has something to grow along. I have found that you have to water daily.

By pthere from Hamilton, New Zealand

Off The Ground

Cucumbers do very well off the ground. I've grown them against fences and on a trellis. It keeps the cukes cleaner and straighter and seem to have less trouble with powdery mildew. If they are too out of hand already, try to stuff some mulch like straw or newspaper under the vines so they stay off the ground. Note: moldy hay might have powdery mildew so it is not recommended.

By Carla

Livestock Fence

We have also used hog panels or livestock fence for cucumbers and tomatoes. I use nylon hose cut in small pieces to tie both, works great and doesn't hurt the vine.

By Chaingang

Wire Cages

I grow my cucumbers in a wire cage. It is made out of fencing wire and about three feet around. Cucumbers usually just grow on the ground and take over whatever they want. This way, they are confined a little. I just keep putting the runners back inside the cage when they grow out. The trellis idea is interesting.

I just used regular tomato cages and ran the vines through the spokes. So far, so good! I think you don't want them on the ground if you can help it. They could get moldy.

Cucumbers Will Keep Coming

When harvesting cucumbers, the best way to detach the cucumber once it is ready and will the plant keep on producing after the first harvesting.

By Alex

Feed Cucumbers Often

Remember cucumbers are heavy feeders so be sure to feed them often. I use a weak solution of miracle grow or the generic/store brand weekly and this year I have gotten more cucumbers than ever. Cucumbers need lots of rich soil, lots of manure and heat and water.

Homemade Nylon Trellis

I did tie my tomatoes and cucumbers to a nylon trellis that I made. I am hoping that they will grow to be tall and produce lots of cukes!

By Sarah in IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Plant borage around your cakes, squash, zucchini...they deter those nasty beetles and squash vine borers.

I plant radishes when I start the cukes..they deter the pests that bother cukes and squash..

Read More Comments...

March 1, 2012 Flag

This video by Dave Epstein has some great tips on how to grow the best cucumbers. Be sure to watch the related videos for more gardening tips.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 11, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about growing cucumbers in containers. Many gardeners prefer to grow their vegetables in containers whenever possible.

Cucumber plants growing in a container.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about choosing a cucumber variety. Cucumbers are not all alike. Each variety has its own special flavor and growing needs.

Cucumber growing on plant

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2010 Flag

In my garden I put out an old wooden chair which has no cushion on it. I planted cucumbers along the legs of the chair, and "trained" the cucumbers to climb all over it. Looks great and reduces garbage, while having a no-cost creative prop in the garden.

By Ema from Brooklyn, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great idea. Yard art!

Do you have a picture?

Read More Comments...

February 7, 2007 Flag

Try growing your cucumbers in hanging baskets hanging on a fence. If it's a wooden fence, all you need to do is stretch a wire or some string along it so as the cucumber has something to grow along.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2016 Flag

I picked a nice green cucumber. Over a couple of weeks in the house, it slowly turned yellow. It is firm and looks really good. I read some of the other questions and answers about cukes turning yellow on the vine, and being bitter. Why did the one I have turn yellow off the vine, instead of spoiling? It's sitting on my table and was never refrigerated. It looks good enough to eat.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2010 Flag

My garden has had a rough time this year, but I finally have some cucumbers growing! Yay!

By Emily

growing cucumbers

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 22, 2012 Flag

Can cucumber vines lie on the ground and produce or do they need to be staked?

By Gene from Bahama, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Although some people have had success letting the cukes lie on the ground, you might be better off staking them up on sturdy poles to avoid rot.

The folks who have successfully grown cukes (or any similar crop) on the ground succeed because they have the time to check daily for signs of rot, and turn the growing cuke carefully if they see signs (white spots, soft spots, brown spots...). If you have the time to do that, then grow them on the ground.

LOL, of course, staking brings along its own set of problems, mainly weight of the growing cuke (or melon, squash, and other large fruit/veg) pulling it clean off the stem! A lot of gardeners who use super feeds (which causes the extra heavy fruit/veg) also use old panty hose to create a net, wiring or tying the netted fruit/veg to the stake.

Hi,

just want to tell you I am in my third year of planting my Cucumbers in a large patio pot... on the ground never worked for me.

I insert a tall pole in the center of the Pot a few days after planting. I tell you the cucumbers grow fantastically huge with Miracle grow for veggies and I yield 16 or more to a patio pot. I tie them to the poles with Stockings to prevent cutting into the Vine itself. Last year they were 12 foot tall. A more beautiful plant you never did see.

My neighbors were in awe.

Watering is very important daily. They are mostly in the sun till about 6 in the evening. Make sure the pots are huge ... one to a Pot.

I have the most luck with sweet slice and burp less cucumbers.

Hopefully this will help someone with a great yield like I have.

Jaye

Cucumbers do not have to be staked but it is best to do so to protect against crawling bugs. I have also planted them in cinder blocks placed against a chain link fence and it worked beautifully. The vines attach themselves to the fencing and all you have to do is water and watch them grow. I also found that planting Spanish thyme next to the cucumbers acts as a deterrent to bugs as they do not like the scent of the thyme

Read More Answers...

March 15, 2015 Flag

I planted cucumbers a week ago in the starter kit. They are already budding and some are about an inch tall. Some also have yellow on the leaves. I think I may have planted then too early as we still have snow on the ground and I don't know what to do now since I can't transplant them outdoors.

By PR from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be prepared to lose those cucumbers because there's a good chance you will. If you will keep the plants as close as possible to a light source at least 16 hours a day and water sparingly (never let the soil get completely wet at this stage of growth), you may well be able to save the plants. It has been done. I wish you luck.

July 18, 2011 Flag

How do you grow cucumbers?

By John D from Carlisle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The easiest way is to buy seedlings and plant them.

In the spring, I mound up the soil in "hills" and plant 5 or 6 seeds to a mound. Give them lots of room to grow because they really like to spread out, just like squash does. I bought some seedlings this year and they are not supposed to spread like some of the others but I don't like the cukes as well because they are short and not the slicing variety. I won't plant them again.

July 23, 2013 Flag

I plant cucumbers in containers and have had bumper crops, but lately I just get lots of flowers, but no cucumbers or a few tiny ones. Why?

By BK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not enough bees for pollination of fruit.

February 5, 2013 Flag

What type of soil should I use for planting cucumbers?

By Julia C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello!

Cucumbers want long warm days and water in a well-drained soil with plenty of organic matter and nutrient elements. You should prepare well in advance their future place in your garden by mixing well-rotted manure or rich compost with the existing soil.

Unless it is already summer time in your region (Cucumbers need an average temperature of 70°) you should start the cucumbers in pots indoors. Put only one seed per pot and use peat pots to set them outside without having to remove the pots as the roots break easily.

Hope this helps!

Catherine

August 19, 2011 Flag

I have three cucumber plants with large yellow flowers on them. How long do they take to produce cucumbers? My grandson came home from school with four of them, but one died. I do not know if they should lie down, or put canes in to stand them up.

By Bill from Blyth, Northumberland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cucumbers are a vine that will crawl around on the ground. You can prop them, but often the weight of the cucumber will pull the plant down or the veg will drop off. It will take a couple weeks for the cucumber to form after the plant flowers.

April 6, 2010 Flag

Can cucumbers be part of "sister gardening" under corn, like squash?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By kepp from Kerrville, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, cucumbers are often listed as good companion plants for corn. They also do well with beans, one of the other 'sisters'.

Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodFebruary 26, 2012
Bowl of tzatziki.
Recipes Using Cucumbers
Cucumbers
Selecting Good Cucumbers
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
🎉
🎄