Growing Cucumbers on a Fence

contest winner icon

Try growing your cucumbers in hanging baskets hanging on a fence. If it's a wooden fence, all you need to do is stretch a wire or some string along it so as the cucumber has something to grow along. I have found that you have to water daily.

By pthere from Hamilton, New Zealand

We have also used hog panels - or livestock fence for cucumbers and tomatoes - I use nylon hose cut in small pieces to tie both - works great and doesn't hurt the vine...

I've utilized aluminum doors no longer required from our local tip,and positioned them teepee-style to grow vertically to allow for full sun and circulation to prevent mildew. I can move around and thru the middle with fruit hanging like grapes. I've planted both sides of the teepee with butternut pumpkins, cucumbers, climbing beans, peas & supported tomatoes. It takes minimal growing space & underneath the teepees,I've planted herbs, silver beet, rhubarb,strawberries, capsicum and lettuce.

In a tiny space, I've been entirely self-sufficient with greens,applying fertilizer and water only where required with massive reduction of snails,grass hoppers etc. Being on water restrictions, I've put a 50 litre container in the patch & any dead or dying material (grass etc - not infected with mold or blight) gets "drowned" along with some compost, dung etc, making the best natural fertilizer to apply to the drip line of each plant. Don't forget to put down straw mulch to suppress the weeds and retain moisture. Queensland in Australia has a humidity problem so we tend not to grow on fences so we can inspect for maintenance and also our worst enemy, termites! Keep up the go work!
Regards, Good Neighbour